The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Lower Timing Belt Cover Wear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zero_wheeler

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 20, 2009
Indianapolis, Indiana
Alright so i recently picked up my 98 gsx and it just recentlystarted overheating, so this weekend i decided to change out the waterpump, themostat, fluid and cap. with 118k miles i figure it woulnt hurt to change it all out anyways.. the waterpump has to be the most difficult thing to reach on that car.. but anyways, im taking the lower timing belt cover off and notice some unsuall wear..

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

the pics arnt the best, but you can see the wear right above where the crank pulley is.

what can cause this? has a belt jumped off the pulley before? or is this a sign of baddddd crankwalk?

thanks, Dylan

My lower cover is also wearing away but not to your extent. I only noticed it after I changed my crank pulley to the Fluidampr.

If that 98 has the original engine, it has split thrust bearings and shouldn't have to worry about it walking. I too would recommend replacing your crank pulley, and change the timing belt and components at the same time.

well the crank pulley shows no wear whatsoever. i dont think it wears anymore, doesnt squeal, smell, or make any sounds when its running, just after a cold start. im putting it all back together today, and try and check for crankwalk...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back