The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Misfire upon load with increased rpm and boost

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boriscsx

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 16, 2012
Vancouver, BC_Canada
So the car went on the dyno today and as per tuner was mifiring badly, currently on 40% ethanol roughly if I can remember. Spark plugs and wires have been changed recently as a matter of fact went through couple sets of each and NGK wires seem to be the best with occasional misfiring. They tried increasing boost from 20 to 25 and as soon as that happens it just knocks. Will installing Dynatek CDI help me at all? Some say its good for anybody running 350whp-550whp? Please chime in

Also please note that spark plugs are step colder ngk bpr7? Gapped to 23, I have tried different options but with no difference whatsoever.

Check your fuel pressure is right and actually going up under load. Not a dsm but I just fixed a Nissan with similar issues your having. Turned out to be a weak fuel pump. Only had 25psi at idle and went down when you rev’d engine even worse under load.

No boost leaks, walbro 450 for pump just wired in. 47psi at idle, I am sure they would have caugh dipping it down on the dyno?

Ngk plug wires are not great surprisingly, the BEST are OEM wires by a long shot other than some type of high end single coil drag setup. 7 heat range plugs are actually fairly hot and could be the cause of the knocking, try running B8ES from NGK.

Ngk plug wires are not great surprisingly, the BEST are OEM wires by a long shot other than some type of high end single coil drag setup. 7 heat range plugs are actually fairly hot and could be the cause of the knocking, try running B8ES from NGK.
I was under the impression that NGK was OEM?

No, oem was Matsushita or something like that, they are really thin from the factory, I have seen brand new NGK cause a misfire and the misfire go away with OEM and nothing else changed.

So try a step colder plugs again then? Even with e30-e4p since its a cooling agent? Will they still last couple oil changes-its not a daily driver by any means.

I have tried 5 different set of plugs and neither have worked properly compared to ngk? Mind you I have never tried matsushita? Mind pointing me to the right directions for that? Also I am assuming Dynatek wont fix anything and isnt a requirement then for 450-500whp? Thanks

An ignition amplifier would do anybody that runs more than stock boost some good, it certainly wont hurt. Im guessing at the name on the oem wires, I dont have them in front of me to look at them, you could just get a set of oem from Xtremepsi or your dealer.

Also try br not bpr plugs... people can argue all day on plugs but no need to go to 8s at your power band. Try br7es ngks and see if it helps.. also.. whats your intercooler like.. 5psi can mean a bunch of heat transfer

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back