The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

melted turbo pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silvawolfe

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 11, 2005
Fort Wayne, Indiana
I pulled my old turbo off today and got a huge shock!
The turbine housing was completly destroyed. It looked like a cave!
I assume years of bad gas, poor maintinence, and beating the crap out of it is the culprit.
The waste gate is siezed up and has proboly been that way for years, the housing is so badly melted you can see light on the other side, the o2 housing and the manifold are both really badly cracked. Infact if I dropped the manifold it would probobly break in two.
I put over a thousand miles on the car and never had a problem with it.(of course I was very easy on the car)
I also did a compression test and the engine is in great shape. Do you think someone just put this on to fill the space of do you think I was just plain lucky my engine isn't junk?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

What were your EGT's like 3000*? Lol, but seriously, that sucks. I don't know how you didn't feel symptoms earlier. At least it's a good excuse to upgrade!

It's off my donar car, the car had rear suspension damage as well as a bad 2nd gear so I wasn't able to push it at all other wise I could have lost 2nd and my rear suspension at the same time!
The turbo has very little shaft play, and had very little "whine" . Good thing I decided to check it!

You must have had massive amounts of leaking going on. That looks freakin terrible. Like Derek said, perfect excuse to upgrade.

Dustin

Wow. What does the engine look like, any pieces in there?

Almost same with local guy..I Changed his 14B for another bought on Ebay..and your Exhaust Inlet looks really SAME!!..but he was pro.:cool: and weld all those cracks with CO2 agregate..:barf: he had 7cm inlet and than after welds..its like 5cm...
his WG port..SAME
but 90% of 14b are cracked....
and manis are SAME too...
someone said..its time for upgrade:sneaky:

any ideas how this happened?
Like I said the rest of the engine looks good, and I had no drivability problems, good oil pressure, no smoking(other than when I got it, but it haad sat for 4 years), good compression, etc..

i still dont understand how you never heard those leaks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back