The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Mechanical timing off at cam gears?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenuwine4g63

10+ Year Contributor
May 26, 2009
Charlotte, North_Carolina
Ok, I know there is plenty of threads on this but for futher notice and clarity I need some further opinions. I lined up my cam gears today to see if they lined up, they did! But, it looks like my exhaust cam gear is slightly off just by a hair. Tell me what you guys think. The exhaust cam gear to me looks off a little bit but the marks line up.

Attachments

• DSC01238.JPG
    DSC01238.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC01240.JPG
    DSC01240.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC01241.JPG
    DSC01241.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 53
With the cam gears lined up... how dose the crank marks look?

Thats fine... Does all the others line up too?

I agree with what the others said that the cam gears look to line up fine but you definitely need to check the other timing marks. My cam gears aligned perfectly but the mark on the crank was way off which lead to bent valves.

With the cam gears lined up... how dose the crank marks look?
Havnt pulled the timing cover. I need another brick or something so i can use my jack to lift up the engine. Im out in the sand:notgood: I was just checking so now it could be off on the crank and i think my balance shaft is out of phase but im unsure, i just started at the cam gears first and see that the exhaust leans a lil to the right when the intake gear is perfectly verticle.
Thats fine... Does all the others line up too?

Dnt know yet have to fund another brick or something. It runs fine and everything but i have a weird sound and slight vibration after 3.5k rpms, so im runing through some stuff and hoping its not a balance shaft bearing. But the last time i changed the oil there was no oil shavings in the oil, so i was thinking its out of phase or my cams are a tooth off.

I agree with what the others said that the cam gears look to line up fine but you definitely need to check the other timing marks. My cam gears aligned perfectly but the mark on the crank was way off which lead to bent valves.

Its defenitely not off that far. maybe a tooth, or its something else.

Havnt pulled the timing cover. I need another brick or something so i can use my jack to lift up the engine. Im out in the sand:notgood: I was just checking so now it could be off on the crank and i think my balance shaft is out of phase but im unsure, i just started at the cam gears first and see that the exhaust leans a lil to the right when the intake gear is perfectly verticle.

Dnt know yet have to fund another brick or something. It runs fine and everything but i have a weird sound and slight vibration after 3.5k rpms, so im runing through some stuff and hoping its not a balance shaft bearing. But the last time i changed the oil there was no oil shavings in the oil, so i was thinking its out of phase or my cams are a tooth off.

Its defenitely not off that far. maybe a tooth, or its something else.

It does sound like the B belt is out of phase. I had the same buzzing above 4K rpms.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back