The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Making 95 Eagle Talon ESi into TSi

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett339

Probationary Member
Aug 16, 2007
Halifax, Nova_Scotia_Canada
ok, i am fairly new with the mitsibishi motors and the tech stuff because i recently bought a 1995 Eagle Talon ESi because i had a 1992 Acura Integra done up..

So i want a turbo on it and it is very hard to find becuse they are all upgrades and what not and i called around to some of the local engine shops that did complete swaps and everything and i asked them if i could put a mitsibishi eclipse engine into it and he said that it would be almost impossible to because everything was in the opposite place, so i gave up on that idea so my friend told me about this other place and i called them and they said to put a SRT4 turbo in it because everything was almost a perfect match and only required certain mods to make it work, so i was just about to get that and i asked if i need to rebuild the engine to support the boost on everything and they said you might not have too, so i thought it would be a good idea to go to you guys and see if have to replace everything or if you have a better idea.

Please i need help on this............let me know what you think i should do..
......ill spend as much as it takes to make it an awsome Talon

Thank You All, Brett

I'll be the first to say that you're pee'ing into the wind. Unless you're just hell bent on using an n/t chasis to have a turbo car (eventually)... your best/cheapest option is to use all that money you'd be spending on the swap and just buy a stock turbo dsm... Just remember, whatever money you waste/spend out of your wallet doesn't make Bling5tatus's wallet lighter.

But hey, if you want to do it and you found a shop that'll do it, then go for it... I just think it's overkill for something that you could have for way cheaper... and not to mention AWD.

ya, i could ###### get the drivetrain and stuff at the junkyard or something, also this car is mint, has no rust and like 2500 just for the black paint with alot of clear coats.......awsome car.. its also hard to fuind mint talons around my area, especially TSi's.

okay you have a esi not a tsi. The esi has the 420a chrysler engine in it where the tsi has the 4g63 mitsu engine. Now if you want to turbo your car your not going to find a fact turbo enigne that will just magically drop in there. Your going to have to turbo what you have. Find a turbo kit for YOUR car. Don't use a srt4 kit or anything like that. If your engine has lower miles then yes you can boost it without a rebuild just do a compressor check first and see where you stand there. Look for either a star or hann kit for a 95-99 Eclipse/Talon n/t. The kit will have everything you need to boost your car safely. Unless you have some really good and knowlegdable friends that can piece a kit together for you but make sure they know the 420a engine.

i will try to compression test it sometime this week, also my car just came over 189,00k/m

and thank you both for helping me out on this one,

Everyone TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK

Thank you

You could sell it and buy a 1st gen gsx/tsi somewhere and get it shipped to nova scotia, and it would be AWD and probably still cheaper than turbo'ing the esi

agreed. check unclehenrys.com. it's like a craigslist for Maine, NH, Vermont, and Mass. That way, you might even be able to go pick it up and drive it back if you felt like driving through new brunswick and probably most of Maine. I can check with my Dad, there's a guy that lives across the street from his store that has a freaking *mint* 1g tsi awd. It's auto but god its gorgeous. I dont know all the specs but I know that most of the transmission has been cryo-treated and the lower end has mostly forged pieces. I believe he wants $3200USD. That guy lives in Belfast. If you're interested, hit me up and I'll look into it.

The first shop you spoke with was right. You are not going to be dropping a 4g63 in the place of the 420a without more money than you are willing to spend. If you DID get a 4g63 in there and running, then you can tell all your friends you just spent all that money, and you still have a front wheel drive car with factory power. The second shop only slightly has a clue to what is going on. At least the SRT-4's motor is related to the 420a. But it won't fit.

If FWD is acceptable to you, just turbo the motor you have now. You can purchase a kit from ~$2000-$3000, or put one together yourself for ~$1000-$2000. 8psi on a 420a will put more power to the wheels than a stock TSi.

If AWD is what you really want, wait for a good opportunity to purchase a TSi AWD.

Being in Nova Scotia, seems to me it would benefit you to go awd. I'd get rid of the 2gnt and wait for an awd turbo car to come along. Just think.....if you break something (I hope not) with a turbo 420a, there aren't a whole lot of parts out there for them. If you break something with an awd 4g63, you have this whole community's support, along with a huge aftermarket behind us.

Just think.....if you break something (I hope not) with a turbo 420a, there aren't a whole lot of parts out there for them.

I didn't know that Neons, Avengers, and Sebrings were hard to find up there.

If you break something with an awd 4g63, you have this whole community's support, along with a huge aftermarket behind us.

We do also give support for the 2gnt. We have 4 sections here on DSMTuners just for 2gnt's, with many knowledgeable contributing members. That is not mentioning 2gnt.com.

While the aftermarket for the 420a is not nearly as large as it is for the 4g6x, it is still plentiful.

brett

i will tell you from reading forums and so forth on here and so forth that no one is kidding about selling it and buying a 4g63, if its awd its always better, but you can take my word on this i bought my talon a little over a year ago and was hell bent for throwing a turbo on it until i started looking into it and found it to not be worth it in the long run at all parts are out there dont get me wrong but its better to upgrade a 4g63 talon so i have found then try to build yours up from scratch, but this is just my opinion . but if u are going to turbo hell yea just gonna be more work in the long run...... oh yea and noting personal but why would you ever buy a honda honestly LOL

I didn't know that Neons, Avengers, and Sebrings were hard to find up there.

We do also give support for the 2gnt. We have 4 sections here on DSMTuners just for 2gnt's, with many knowledgeable contributing members. That is not mentioning 2gnt.com.

While the aftermarket for the 420a is not nearly as large as it is for the 4g6x, it is still plentiful.

Don't take my words the wrong way.....I was just saying that there quite a few places that have 4G63 parts. I'll be honest, around here, there are not any 420A's or A420's that have any performance enhancements that I've seen. I did, however, see a 2 door turbo Neon on US Rte. 40 the other day, but I haven't seen it since. Most of what I've seen around here (on the track or the street) are stock cars with exhausts and maybe plug wires. I'm sure they're around here somewhere with boost, nitrous and built engines, I just don't see them much myself.

In my opinion, leave the ESi EXACTLY how it is and just drive it. Then go out and buy a project/rough shape 1g AWD car and build it to be a badass street car. Then when something goes wrong, you've still got a reliable car to drive daily.

What everyone has said is true. The motor and transmission mounts are completely different on the 420a and 4g63. Plus I hear AWD swaps are quite painful to swap.

If you're set on a 2g, just sell the ESi and get a bone stock TSi.

I know it isn't common at all, but what about putting a junkyard Evo (Evo 4+) engine in it? That guy mitsumissle, the one with the link to the JDM Galant knuckles, had a gallery of a 2gnt with a 4g6t powerplant in it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back