The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

maf-t set up on 1g talon n/a turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1992_Talon_tsi

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 20, 2009
MIAMI, Florida
ok so my situation is that im trying to set up maf translator on a 1g talon n/a turbo converted, problem is that the stock maf connector is smaller than the maf-t connector and im kind of lost on what to do in this situation, also the stock maf connector has 6 pin and the maf-t has 5 .....if anyone has experienced this situation and was able to install it please give me a hand and explain what should i do?

Are you speaking of the connector that plugged into the stock air flow sensor? Also when you say turbo converted, do you mean you bolted on a turbo setup, or you swapped the engine out? If you swapped the engine is the main harness still for the N/A?

Are you speaking of the connector that plugged into the stock air flow sensor? Also when you say turbo converted, do you mean you bolted on a turbo setup, or you swapped the engine out? If you swapped the engine is the main harness still for the N/A?

yea the stock mass connector, and im not sure if engine was swapped i got the car already converted what im sure off is that this car wasnt a tsi, and yea i guess still the same harness of an n/a i could tell you that this connector has 6 pins and it doesnt fit in the maf-t im going to get some pics up so you can see what im talking about..

yea the stock mass connector, and im not sure if engine was swapped i got the car already converted what im sure off is that this car wasnt a tsi, and yea i guess still the same harness of an n/a i could tell you that this connector has 6 pins and it doesnt fit in the maf-t im going to get some pics up so you can see what im talking about..

If it was a non-turbo (so obviously FWD) and it was converted to a turbo (whichever way it was done) then it would still be FWD. Why does your profile say TSI AWD?

As far as the harness goes, non-turbo harnesses have 6 wires going into the MAS while the turbo has 7. But if you were running a turbo MAS then the 7th wire would already be added, even if you still had the n/t harness.

Either way, for hooking up the factory MAS plug to a GM MAS with a MAF-T, you either need an adapter or you have to hardwire it. It's not a direct plug and play.

ok guys so here are the pics tell me if more shots are needed ....:hmm:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If it was a non-turbo (so obviously FWD) and it was converted to a turbo (whichever way it was done) then it would still be FWD. Why does your profile say TSI AWD?

As far as the harness goes, non-turbo harnesses have 6 wires going into the MAS while the turbo has 7. But if you were running a turbo MAS then the 7th wire would already be added, even if you still had the n/t harness.

Either way, for hooking up the factory MAS plug to a GM MAS with a MAF-T, you either need an adapter or you have to hardwire it. It's not a direct plug and play.

oo alright thanks, and btw this is another talon n/a turbo not my tsi awd, that me and my friend bought for a project so we setting it up.. as for the hardwire link it doesnt say anything helpful he is using a direct bolt connector and for the adapter link i dont need that i have 3" gm maf.. did you check the pics so can understand me a little better of what the problem is ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the greyish plug on the left of the pic is the harness from the MAF-T and the harness on the right is from the car, or is that reversed? I'm thinking you may have the MAF-T for a 2nd gen. The MAF-T for a 1st gen is direct plug and play @ the sensor harness.

Is the greyish plug on the left of the pic is the harness from the MAF-T and the harness on the right is from the car, or is that reversed? I'm thinking you may have the MAF-T for a 2nd gen. The MAF-T for a 1st gen is direct plug and play @ the sensor harness.

the grey one is the car factory connector and the black is the maf-t harness.. any thoughts:confused:

Gonna have to say it's the difference between the N/A harness and turbo harness. I was just out at my car Sunday, and my harness is indeed 7 pin like your MAF-T plug. Mine is direct plug and play. I would say take a look at a FSM schematic and do a pin out. Findout what the 7th wire is and see if there is a work around for it. Hope this helps some.

Gonna have to say it's the difference between the N/A harness and turbo harness. I was just out at my car Sunday, and my harness is indeed 7 pin like your MAF-T plug. Mine is direct plug and play. I would say take a look at a FSM schematic and do a pin out. Findout what the 7th wire is and see if there is a work around for it. Hope this helps some.

Yea your right is the difference between n/a harness and turbo harness, but the maf-t harness has 5 pin not 7 like the turbo or 6 like the n/a and thats the weird part:banghead:....

It's an 8 pin Molly connector the 1g cars actually have 7 of the 8 pins used. I think, but am not sure, that the 2g's only have 5 of the 8 used. This is why I asked if the translator you have is for a 1st or 2nd gen.

Now with that info, what are the six pins of your harness for? Match up the needed wires, and figure out #6.

here are the pin outs for the maft and you can look up the 1g mas pinout on vfaq

just match the wires and you're done. Thats what i did - i had 1G MAFT and 2g plug, matched the pinouts and done in 15 min

EDIT: here it is

1g

1 - Idle position switch
2 - Air flow sensor
3 - MPI control relay
4 - 5V power supply for sensors
5 - None
6 - Ground for sensors
7 - Barometric pressure sensor
8 - Intake air temp sensor

likewise same problem, so could we get a 1g turbo plug, wire that into the N/T harness and then plug the MAFT into that?

Yep thats how it works i got did a hard wire on mine just added a wire to the maft, and the one to the turbo harness, easy as pie. I learned also to pick up those turbo connectors for other projects.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back