The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Look, my intake is off and this E85 issue?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradikus7

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 8, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Hey guys, pulled my intake in favor of my JMF street and come to find out I have a nice build up of goo I'm assuming came from running straight E85. I'm wondering if there is something I can do to clean it off right now and also what I can do to prevent it in the future?

It seems like the closer to the cam gears, the worse it is. All my injectors were clear except for the one closest to the cam gears.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

THIS video really shows it a ton better than the still shots.

Lastly, take a look at my knock sensor. Does it appear to be going bad? Would this cause me to have erratic knock or would it not read knock and potentially blow up my car? I'm thinking I better just buy a new one while it is easily accessed

Knock sensor is definitely going bad, you can get a new sensor for pretty cheap (60-75 I think). Not sure on your E85 issues though sir.

Knock sensor should be replaced.

The goo and "oil" residue is from E85. I run a tank of pump gas through every few tanks of E85 to clean it out. The injectors should be serviced, either sent out for cleaning/flow testing or at least ultrasonic cleaned. Alternatively you can soak them in gasoline for a few hours, pulsing the solenoids a few times using a AA battery, but this is a pain in the ass and ultrasonic cleaning is better.

The head ports and valves should be cleaned though. Continued buildup will cause additional fuel wall wetting effect which will cause driveability issues.

Beau

Knock sensor should be replaced.

The goo and "oil" residue is from E85. I run a tank of pump gas through every few tanks of E85 to clean it out. The injectors should be serviced, either sent out for cleaning/flow testing or at least ultrasonic cleaned. Alternatively you can soak them in gasoline for a few hours, pulsing the solenoids a few times using a AA battery, but this is a pain in the ass and ultrasonic cleaning is better.

The head ports and valves should be cleaned though. Continued buildup will cause additional fuel wall wetting effect which will cause driveability issues.

Beau
Yeah I had heard a lot of people run pump fuel every couple of tanks to help clean things out. I've been running straight E85 since it was tuned for it and have yet to get a second tune for pump. I realize that it does need cleaned from the intake ports but how do I go about it at this point? Keep in mind that the engine is still intact and in the bay.

I've also read that plenty of people run straight E85 and don't have this issue? I was filling up at Speedways but then I switched to a Kroger that is the only one I go to and they offer a minimum 71% ethanol rating vs "other" places only guaranteeing 50%. Injectors are only a couple thousand miles new if that so I'll just clean them myself. Only the one has goop and isn't even that much.

What are the possible ill effects of just going to town with brake cleaner? That stuff evaporates rather quickly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back