The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

leaking seals or leaking engine oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hnm99

Probationary Member
Sep 10, 2012
tolleson, Arizona
okay guys i have a few questions hope i can get answered. i just recently got my 99 eclipse and the previous owner stated that he added full synthetic tanny fluid and that because of the melecular structure of full synthetic being smaller that it stated to leak slightly. BS the car leaves a nice (10 drips i say)stain everywere i park it overnight. today i took it to work and looked and took pictures of the seals tranny and just everything that looks rough under there. well i was paying attention to the oil and noticed it looks like smells like motor oil.

1 does tranny fluid look like motor oil

2.what can possibly be leaking above the trans mission(found some hose that went into the fire wall that had oil dripping onto the tranny) valve cover idk

3 what causes the car to vibrate when turning left

Is this an auto or manual. If it is the color of motor oil and smells like motor oil than it is motor oil. Automatic transmission fluid is red, and manual transmission fluid is light brown, similar to oil, but usually lighter due to no combustion byproducts. If the oil is leaking from above the transmission than it could be the valve cover gasket, head gasket, or cam sensor o-ring. I would get some purple power and clean it up real well than watch for a leak.

its a manuel transmission

FRONT CASES ??

at first i cleaned up around the seal and case but when i came back the second time i noticed oil coming from above. trying to load pics

looking from above the engine bay on my 420A
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

looking from underneath up at the intake mani

Oil pan gasket may be the cause here. It does look to have a small leak up front resesue onle but maybe because how the engine sits leaning back it leaks from the back. After my little vacation ill get that replaced and find were the leak is coming from.

Axle output seals love to go since they'll beginning to dry out .. by the look of the oil around the differential and axles. Axles needs to be pulled after draining the tranny fluid and seals needs to be replaced.

Also, that's a Chrysler (not a Mitsu) tranny used with the 420A setup and using synth fluids in it isn't the best since the syncros are felt lined and need a friction modified fluid to work with the syncros and synth fluids doesn't contain that friction modifier compound.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back