The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Leaking Coolant

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1g Cam

Proven Member
Sep 16, 2014
Scottsbluff, Nebraska
I found a small coolant leak on my lower radiator hose nothing serious, it was the old wire style clamp. I had a new adjustable band clamps so I put one on, with in a week it leaked all the coolant out. I'm not sure if the indentation from the wire style are making it so the band clamp can't apply even presure.

How old are the hoses? If they are the originals they need to be changed. Is the connection nice and clean and round? It wont seal well if it is out of round. Check your heater hoses too they like to split and leak.

Might be a good excuse to buy these http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/group-buy-ohm-racing-coolant-hose-set.498007/

it could be where the hose is clamped to on the radiator make sure its clean and inspect the lower hose for pin holes worse case you might need to get another lower hose, also make sure the clamp you use is of good quality and has no sharp areas on it that may damage the hose when clamped down.
could also be radiator damage, if you have an air compressor you could get the coolant pressure tester and hook it up to see where it's leaking from or the dye they sell at auto parts stores to help narrow down where its coming from.

Last edited:
I found out where it was leaking, I may try another wire style clamp and if that doesn't work, see if the radiator is damaged. If I have to replace it that's an excuse to buy an aluminum one.

You can get a CX racing aluminum rad for like $100 shipped. I've had mine for almost 2 years with no problems.
Those stock radiators are prone to breakage at the necks for the hoses. I had one pop off one summer and left me stranded. The neck was completely disintegrated under the hose.
I replaced a rad on an old gs with an OEM style unit; I tried to reuse the old hose and it wouldn't stop leaking. I had to use two hose clamps.

As far as how many CFMs the fans can move, I haven't seen any aftermarket versions that even match the OEM fans. I can't count how many I've been through and I'm back to the OEM fan on the passenger side. There's no room on the drivers side.

In a side note, it funny, I'm in a similar position as you with coolant hose. My upper is dribbling on the engine end and it's an ETS silicone hose with a stainless steel band clamp. I've made the hose and pipe are clean and free of any dirt and reclamped but no change. I might replace the hose next.

I know I know but, if an aftermarket company sells a complete set of radiator hoses and heater hoses, should be 8 pieces if I remember correctly, you should order them asap. I got a kit for my old honda and one for my eclipse for under $100 and they are less prone to flexing from pressure like rubber hoses do over time

My advice is replace all of your coolant hoses now at one time so you won't have any questions about a hose failing or overheating. Regardless of manufacturer or if you just get replacements at the autoparts store. You also need to replace the thermostat now too

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Mitsubishi no longer makes the pre formed coolant hoses (the small diameter hoses) and I find that the standard hose by the foot doesn't like some of the tight radius bends needed. I got a few feet of silicone "heater hose" from siliconehose.com. And they have need good so far. I agree with Chryslerkid on replacing ALL of the hoses. I would rather replace them in controlled conditions at my convenience....not on the side of the road at night in the rain!

I was told that I need slim fans because my stock fans won't allow the intercooler piping to fit right. Is there a way to make them work with the front mount?

If it's the stock radiator, it might be time for a new one. Mine started leaking because the plastic corroded completely off not allowing enough room for the hose to clamp on. I just got a mishimoto aluminum radiator but I've heard the Koyo ones are just as good.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back