The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

1g leaking coolant

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Custom GSX

10+ Year Contributor
May 13, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Wonder if anyone has ran into this problem. I found that my 90 GSX is leaking coolant on the driver side of the engine. The stream is coming from above the cv axle on the driver side. I can't seen in there very well, so I'm not sure if it's the head gasket or the front cover?? It's to high and to far back to be the water pump I think. Any suggestions would be great....

Wonder if anyone has ran into this problem. I found that my 90 GSX is leaking coolant on the driver side of the engine. The stream is coming from above the cv axle on the driver side. I can't seen in there very well, so I'm not sure if it's the head gasket or the front cover?? It's to high and to far back to be the water pump I think. Any suggestions would be great....

If it is back there than it is coming from the head gasket or possibly one of the hoses on the throttle body.

try taking off the timing belt cover if you want or pressurize the system with a pump they sell the kit online and sertant hardware stores not sure if autozone does though then you can use a flashlight and try and see where its coming from to figure what needs to be done

I had a similar problem with it dumping coolant from right there and it turned out to be a blown head gasket and the head was extremely warped. The Guy I bought it from tried running into the ground I guess.

Might be a freeze plug leaking, there are 4 of them on the back of the block under the intake manifold.

Jpv91120, that's what I've been trying to research. If there were any freeze plugs but I couldn't find anything. I've heard of freeze plugs coming out but not leaking. I guess after I pressure test the system I'm going to have to start tarring it apart till I could get a good view of where it's coming from. Thanks everyone and if you have more suggestions keep them coming.

If you jack the car up and put it on jack stands than you can see the back of the engine from under the car. I would jack it up, fill the cooling system than pressurize it and get under the car and watch for water spraying out.

I have my engine out right now so when I get off work I will take pics of all the freeze plug locations

Jpv91120 thanks for the vid, that's perfect. And thanks to all the post guys. Just got off work so I'm going to jack up the car and throw the pressure tester at it. I'll post what I find, again thanks!

So no leak with pressure tester on it at 15psi, held pressure for 30 min. So im going to drive it and get it warm and check again.

Ok I washed the engine and ran it till it was hot. Pressure tested the system and found a coolant stream coming from behind the front cover. But the a/c compressor bracket is in the way of the stream. So no I think I going to pull the intake manifold and see if I can find the problem... Any suggestion on what it could be???

Yea but the stream is to far from the water pump I'm sure. I looked at the water pump and it did not look wet. But I want know till I start pulling stuff off it I guess.

here a picture of the coolant leak and my found ripped cv boot.

Attachments

• coolant leak.jpg
    coolant leak.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 115
Could head gasket or a freeze plug I guess, if you can wrap something around where the head meets the block aluminium foil you could see if the flow changes where it comes down, whatever you use make sure it won't melt. You said it only leaks after it was warmed up so if intake manifold so you can see what's going on it won't be leaking. If the flow changes it is probably your head gasket if not probably the freeze plug, not an easy spot to be working on I know.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back