The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved 1G Leaking Coolant from Oil Filter Housing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich3389

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 27, 2006
Ocean springs, Mississippi
I have been noticing a few drops of coolant sitting at the bottom of my oil cooler lately...There is no noticeable mixing of oil in coolant or coolant in oil. Is it time to replace the oil cooler and can I just take the oil filter off, unscrew the stud and replace the cooler that way?

Depends where it's leaking...it may just be a loose or cracked hose.

If it's the cooler leaking, then yeah...you'll have to replace it because the coolant inlets are brazed onto the housing.

You could also look into swapping it to an air-cooled setup, or bypassing it altogether if your engine temps and climate would allow it.

It looks like the coolant is seeping from the "sandwiches" on the oil cooler,it doesn't leak when the car is running, but if it sits overnight there will be 1-3 drops forming. It is coolant only, no oil is leaking out.

OK well I found that my water pump is actually slightly leaking at the oring, and it is just dripping down onto my oil cooler.

Solution
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back