The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Just bought a Galant VR4

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I would never use any engine parts bought from eBay man, those are things people should not cheap out on. And are the main reason that's killing the DSM industry.

Hey mike... the ss valves from ebay are sold by engnbldr... im pretty sure that if kris and corey recommend using them then your stupid not to use them

So Just a little update on the car. I haven't been able to work on it at all and I'm dying to get back to it. I've been deployed about 4 months now, and have another 4 or so to go. While I've been gone though, I have been able to accumulate a good start to my parts pile. I have all of the parts that were absolutely needed to get the car running, and a few extra items as well. Thanks to the classifieds here on Tuners, and also on VR4.org, I have got some really good deals on stuff. This is what I have so far:

-Head. I picked up a BRAND NEW head here on Tuners. I couldn't believe the deal. So my head/bent valve issues will be completely solved. I guess a machine shop ported 2 of the exhaust runners before the seller lost interest, money, or both without wanting to finish the job. I'll have to finish the other 2 myself. Check it...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

-Fuel sending unit. My car was missing this all together. I picked up a used one off of VR4.org. Now I should have something to put in the gaping hole in my fuel tank.

-Picked up a nice set of USDM GVR4 fog lights since the previous owner disposed of mine after the front mount intercooler install. I'm confident I can make these work even with the intercooler piping restricting space.

-A set of JDM headlights and clear corners. Purely cosmetic.

-Lower Shores Performance MBC. For the price I'm told the is the best boost controller made. I paid under $45 shipped for this. We'll see how it works when I get it on the Galant.

-91 EPROM ECU socketed, now just waiting to find a good deal on ECMlink V3...

That's all for now. Looking for a good deal on someone's ECMlink V3 so I can snatch that up. Maybe some AEM adjustable cam gears, and a Walbro fuel pump as well. More updates to follow soon on the parts list. And as soon as I get home it's back to working on this beast!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm stacking my parts pile and spending hours a day just researching parts, looking for deals, and trying to decided which way I want to go with the car. For management I have decided to got with ECMlink V3, but I am really torn on weather to go with a speed density setup, or just to run a MAF. My power goals aren't really extreme (under 350hp). This is going to be my daily driver at some point, and I would like to retain some fuel economy as well as good driveability and reliability. These are definitely my primary concerns over making tons of power, although the car definitely will not be stock. I have a set of RC PR2 750 injectors that are going in and the turbo is just a big 16G. The rest of my mod list pretty much follows suit and isn't anything drastic. I'm reading good things about speed density, and it seems like many people are making big power on SD setups. I was leaning toward a 2G maf or and EVO maf setup just because I am under the impression this setup is a little more on the economy side of the house but will still suit my power goals (and will be a bit easier to tune), but I really can't say since I have have zero hands on experience with SD. In addition to economy, good driveability and reliability, I would also like to be able to go with an option that can be fairly easy to tune with. Although I know this is a factor which involves many other factors, please rate how you think going one way or another will effect the difficulty to tune that specific setup. If someone could help me out and point me in the right direction on which way to go with this that would be awesome. If you need a more complete mod list that I intend (as I haven't yet purchased all of the parts for the build) to use for this car please let me know, and I'll post one up. Thanks in advance for any input.

speed density isn't hard to tune. i use the 4bar map for my car.

biggest down side i have is piss poor cold start idles because of my injector size and e-85...

i got the walbro 255, pm me.

Hey man, got the fuel pump a bit ago, just haven't talked to the wife until now to see if it came in the mail. Thanks!! +1 Walbro 255 for the parts list...

I recommend sticking with the maf setup for ease of things

Well the one thing I found really interesting about SD is how most people can take a VE table from someone with comparable mods, tweak it a little and have an end product that is making great power with very little work. I mean, whats better than using someones else's table who may have spent countless hours on a dyno, tuning, tweaking, comparing logs, making adjustments, and doing whatever else in order to optimize their tune? It's like your are getting everything they invested for free as long as they will share information with you. I feel like with SD there are so many ways to NOT start from scratch by using info from those who have already done lots of leg work. Not only that, but I know there are guys out there who just by looking at your VE table can do a pretty good job pointing out where and why your tune may me flawed. The more and more I read, the more SD sounds like a good deal. I am still very attracted to the simplicity and the plug and play option a 2G MAF would offer though, and know many people are making great numbers with this setup. If do decide to go SD, I think I will just get the sensor package ECMtuning offers. Is there something better in the realm of SD in regards to certain sensors and hardware compared to what ECMtuning offers? What are you guys running on your SD setups? Thanks.

You wanna sell that Eclipse? That thing even have compression anymore? How many miles are on it... 200k?.... It would look good in my drive way. You still got the bottle hooked up to it? That thing probably needs the whole bottom end replaced. Let me know clown.

the ecmlink SD package is great with a 4 bar sensor that reads very accurately. the 4 bar map sensor is capable of 44psi which is way more than you will need

You wanna sell that Eclipse? That thing even have compression anymore? How many miles are on it... 200k?.... It would look good in my drive way. You still got the bottle hooked up to it? That thing probably needs the whole bottom end replaced. Let me know clown.

Hahahaha. Yeah brah, how much you got? I might let it go for say around... $39.95 or so sound fair? And idk what compression even is, but yep still has the stock clock pushing 150k...and still taking the N2O like it rolled off the assembly line yesterday (well except for that one time when I was street racing for the money and the respect, and sprayed so much NOSSS I almost fried my piston rings and blew the welds on my intake :ohdamn:). Hey when the circus goes back to Missouri I'll be sure to stop by and park in your "driveway" to see how the car looks there. Hopefully by then you can scrounge up that $39.50, or borrow it from your folks so we can make this happen! Yeeee hawww!

Acquired a couple more parts to add to the parts pile for the build:

-Walbro 255

-DSMlink V2 (probably just going to pay the $150 and have this upgraded to V3)

Here's whats on the soon to buy list:

-BC BR type Coilovers. (The car currently has new KYB AGX adjustables all the way around with Eibach Sportline springs. Probably going to be selling these when I get home and switch them out for the BCs. What's a good asking price for a set of 4 KYB AGXs with Sportline springs installed?)

-A set of Enkei RPF1s

-Innovate Auto Timer-Air/Fuel Display LC-1 Wideband kit

-Fuelab AFPR kit (Still looking for something cheap and used though, possibly a Aeromotive regulator. I'll go with this if I don't find anything)

-2G MAF and Dejon intake with 1g to 2G harness (looking for these used and waiting to find them all together cheap)

Well that's all for now. I'm dying to get back home from deployment and actually turn my parts pile into a Beast Galant VR4. More updates soon...

If your shocks are not blown keep them, spend money on sway bars, and upgraded brakes. Ss lines amd better pads. I know your deployment rich, but make that monies count.

Man, if I was deployment rich, I'd get all the stuff on my buy list and get the stuff you mentioned. The only reason I want the BC coilovers is because they provide the ride height and camber adjustability I'm looking for. Might as well sell the setup currently on the car and try and recoup some of my money since I'm not as deployment rich as I wish I was. I just put a new set of KYB AGXs on the front of my GST before I left. The 2 front struts new alone were almost $300 bucks a piece...expensive stuff.

Just a few additions to the parts pile for my build:

+1 Meth Kit for the parts pile!!! I can't believe the deal I got on this. It's Snow Performance Stage 2 Boost Cooler meth kit. Should work nicely to keep intake temps down and make some extra power. click

-Aeromotive AFPR. Finally found a AFPR for a good price. I got a deal on a used Aeromotive A1000. I bought the lines and fuel rail fittings super cheap separately from another guy. He actually threw in a Weapon R AFPR with the lines as well as a stock fuel rail and filter (see bottom pic). I was reading the Weapon R AFPRs weren't very reliable and have a lot of problems?? I'll be throwing the Weapon R AFPR and the extra fuel rail up for sale when I can.

Picked up a set of adjustable cam gears. I believe these are Fidanza but the seller couldn't say. Got them super cheep though, and they are in great shape so I couldn't pass them up.

No name steering wheel I paid $20 bucks for. Wondering what brad this is? Hopefully it cleans up good.

So now to update my soon to buy shopping list:

-Stock GVR4 exhaust system.

click

-Gates Racing Timing Belt

-BC BR type Coilovers. Getting a great deal on these new from a member on GVR4.org

-A set of Enkei RPF1s. Still looking for these used on the S2K forums. Also found a vendor who could get me a set for $1,000 shipped new, so just waiting so see what comes up.

-Innovate Auto Timer-Air/Fuel Display LC-1 Wideband kit. Still looking for a killer price on any used LC-1 kit. If I don't find one cheap used I'll just buy the autotimer/wideband kit below new.

-2G MAF and Dejon intake with 1g to 2G harness. Still looking for these used and waiting to find them all together cheap.

Finally my deployment is coming to and end, and in a little over 2 months I should be home turning this parts pile into a beast GVR4! More updates to follow soon.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back