The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Is this Timing Belt too loose?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990TSIAWDTALON

Nov 14, 2013
Independence, Kansas
So I had a funny rattle coming from the drivers side under load so I bring the car immediately home. Today I have a very loose timing belt, or what I think the problem I am hearing is. Please give your opinions, I don't want to tear the front off for nothing.
Thanks all!!
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thats not the area to check for tension, after the car sits and the cam sprockets roll towards each other it will be loose right there until you start it up, your belt looks very thin and CHEAP, I would want to replace it for that reason alone, check your bolt that holds the idler pulley under your timing belt cover, they do come loose and rattle and can throw the belt if left unchecked.

Have you started it and examined it while the car idles? I saw this video and if you watch at the very end, I think it's a pretty good reference:

I had the hood up and upper cover off when I pulled it 5' forward onto a cement slab. No noise. No wabbly belt but when I go check the race cars tension and a 6 bolt with a fresh belt on it on one of my stands, they are WAY tighter. It is coming apart so another DSM life saved in the MidWest!
Thanks everyone. Not what you want but at least its still nice outside so I can replace it all. :thumb::talon:

Thats the right thing to do, be sure to use at least a Gates belt on it if you want quality.

Yeah. I was sure it was a problem.
Tore the whole front off the motor and everything was great. The PO said it had a timing job. I stuck a grenade pin thur the tensioner and it was dry, no sign of being old. I put it back together and the noise is gone. Maybe rubbing a cover. Considered a flex plate crack next but its gone.

NOW roday we did a brake boost mild check and its a stock car with all the shields. My son said he saw smoke under the top manifold cover so after removing it.....the turbo bolts/nut were all 1 turn loose approximately. These cars....
I have another car I dont talk about that lost its chra clamp last nite too. Man.....
Did find out it had a nice BSE done.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back