1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Is this block a bust?

Posted by Audiyo, Oct 23, 2019

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Audiyo

Audiyo Supporting Member

Joined Jul 22, 2013
    Imperial, Missouri
    I started tearing down my block this past weekend, cleaning threads, pulling and marking parts, cleaning surfaces and generally getting it ready for the machine shop. Tonight I went down and started looking over the block, mainly around the oil galleries and I noticed a chip in one of the galleries cast. I am fairly new to these builds so I am not sure if this is something that renders this block unusable or if its OK, can anyone with more experience tell me if this block is OK or not? Or what potential issues this chip may cause? I want to make sure before I go any further with my prep work and time/money. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Street Build 196  1

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM
  2. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    It wouldn't take much to have your machine shop weld that area in and then throw it on the mill to mill that area flat, that's what I would do.

Drag Race Build 3K  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    Hickory-NC-2Ggsx likes this.
  3. d1prospect

d1prospect Proven Member

Joined Mar 14, 2004
    Glen Bunie, Maryland
    The gasket surface touches there tho so they drop that passage down gasket won’t touch. Potential leak, since they'll be more volume just dumping. I’d grab your gasket and look. I could be tho. I’m not a machinist :idontknow::idontknow:

Drag Race Build 3K  15

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. Audiyo

Audiyo Supporting Member

Joined Jul 22, 2013
    Imperial, Missouri
    So further analyzing this chip and the surrounding area it looks to be around one of the balance shafts. Not sure if it matters but Ill be eliminating the balance shafts, as well based on the front case it looks like this area is all open anyway? But it also looks like the wall that is chipped leads into an empty pocket, will this really effect my engine? I don't want to be naive or oblivious but also genuinely don't understand how this can/will effect the engine in any way. I went ahead and took a few more pictures to give a better indication of where on the block this is located.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019

Street Build 196  1

fwd · automatic · 2G DSM
  5. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    My thought is still that there was a wall there for a reason, I would just have it welded shut, it would probably cost you under $75, although it likely wouldn't cause any problems anyway if you want to chance it, if in fact that area is an empty closed pocket.

Drag Race Build 3K  24

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    Audiyo likes this.
  6. 19Eclipse90

19Eclipse90 DSM Wiseman

Joined Sep 29, 2003
    OKC, Oklahoma
  7. Audiyo

Audiyo Supporting Member

Joined Jul 22, 2013
    Imperial, Missouri
    @19Eclipse90 this is perfect! I truly appreciate you finding that.

I tried searching for any related issues can I ask how you found this thread? Obviously searching but what key words?

Street Build 196  1

fwd · automatic · 2G DSM
  8. 19Eclipse90

19Eclipse90 DSM Wiseman

Joined Sep 29, 2003
    OKC, Oklahoma
    @Audiyo LOL

Honestly, when you've been around this site as long as I have, you see and read a lot of things. It took a little bit for the memory to come back, but I had a vague memory seeing a similar picture in a thread I posted in back when and could recall one more member who posted in it. So I Googled "oil block bryanwheat 19eclipse90 site:dsmtuners.com". Sometimes, it's all about who posted. :thumb:

1990TSIAWDTALON and Audiyo like this.
  9. Audiyo

Audiyo Supporting Member

Joined Jul 22, 2013
    Imperial, Missouri
    Well again I very much appreciate it. I’ve been investing time into this block cleaning threads, cleaning, measuring and was getting ready to smooth out the oil galleries before bringing it to the machine shop. It definitely gave me a scare but with the replies from this thread and the information in the thread you linked I’m quite confident moving forward.
    Thanks again everyone!

Street Build 196  1

fwd · automatic · 2G DSM
    19Eclipse90 likes this.