The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

ECMlink Intermittent Stall

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny4G63

Probationary Member
Sep 10, 2020
Cincinnati, Ohio
Test subject 1990 TSI 30K original miles running speed density/ E85 W/ethanol sensor / 255lph rewire/ front mount/ 850CC. The problem is I have a intermittent issue with the engine just shutting off when driving. Sometimes before it does i see my wideband leaning out (just cruising even say 45mph). Sometimes starts back up and sometimes it takes a few times after letting it sit a minute. ECM link said my ECU is fine( just got it back) This morning i captured a log and it was if someone just shut the key off. I will post a log. First time trying to post a log, hopefully I did it right. I did notice my WB factor and WB is way goofy. Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
You're not logging your map sensor. Save that under baro. Seeing that it's a POS omnibar map sensor that would be my guess until we can see another log of it.

It's also possible your wideband lost connection/died but sometimes it's hard to tell if that was the cause or the symptom of the car dying. These things aren't always synched correctly on the logs.

You're not logging your map sensor. Save that under baro. Seeing that it's a POS omnibar map sensor that would be my guess until we can see another log of it.

It's also possible your wideband lost connection/died but sometimes it's hard to tell if that was the cause or the symptom of the car dying. These things aren't always synched correctly on the logs.
Feeling pretty dumb at this point but none of this is making sense. I purchased this with the SD already installed(ECM LINK PLUG AND PLAY MAP WIRING). I have tried to configure the BARO and it showed up as a ghost?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

1. Always make sure to post a log. Much more helpful.

2. you’re still not adding it under the top pin assignment box. You then hit save pin assignments

1. Always make sure to post a log. Much more helpful.

2. you’re still not adding it under the top pin assignment box. You then hit save pin assignments
I did save it under pin assignments. Now it is showing up but reads a constant 30.1hg. I don't know 😕

So sensors are not logged. Also you have ALOT of timing in the car under wide open. For instance in DA max you are targeting 18 degrees at 4500rpm then have 6 extra degrees added with sliders. thats 24 degrees at 4500rpm. You also have fueling changes made in the sliders. I would start with getting sensors logged then zero out timing and fuel sliders and change up your max octane timing table personally. I am sure you are well past MBT at 4500rpm at that amount of timing, For sure the total 21 degrees of advance at 3500rpm is to much IMO. Just because e85 does not knock does not mean you are making power with a ton of timing. You can go past MBT and start loosing power and then you are just making a ton of cylinder pressure.

So sensors are not logged. Also you have ALOT of timing in the car under wide open. For instance in DA max you are targeting 18 degrees at 4500rpm then have 6 extra degrees added with sliders. thats 24 degrees at 4500rpm. You also have fueling changes made in the sliders. I would start with getting sensors logged then zero out timing and fuel sliders and change up your max octane timing table personally. I am sure you are well past MBT at 4500rpm at that amount of timing, For sure the total 21 degrees of advance at 3500rpm is to much IMO. Just because e85 does not knock does not mean you are making power with a ton of timing. You can go past MBT and start loosing power and then you are just making a ton of cylinder pressure.
I recently removed fuel via sliders since it was running extremely rich (9.1). I will eventually rework my maxoct. The car runs extremely well currently despite the random engine shutdown issue that I'm confidentis not related to current tune. Athough I will backing the timing off a tad. The map is not logged but am working on it. I will post new log after getting it to log. I appreciate all of your wisdom and input, thanks guys.

Well I finally got it to act up long enough to test things as of right now it cranks and kinda of tries to fire .Found cyl 2&4 coil to be melted/ corroded and with excessive ohms. On order is a new OE GM 3 bar MAP & ignition coil pack. Will keep you guys updated. Again I appreciate your input and help.

Doesn't matter what you do with the sensor if you don't add it to the captured values list. If it's gray when logging, you didn't add it. Sensor might be just fine.

Zero your fuel and timing sliders, as already mentioned. Change the WB switch point to 2.43 because that's the raw voltage shown around stoich when at 14.7 when simulating. Don't see map or iat sensors being logged and not added to pin assignments to be able to then add to captured values. Can lock the intake and egr boxes to the right of that. I would throw in a 2g timing map versus the 1g that you modified, and then added more timing on top of that. And make sure you're logging all these parameters at a minimum. The ones that are gray needed to be added to your captured list.

Ok here is an update. After replacing the map sensor it cured all my stalling/ starting issues. I have since replaced the ignition coil also ( just an additional problem I found along the way). The car runs great and was able to get it to log. I once again appreciate all the input. Recently installed some new wheels/tires and FT brakes. Feels good to drive and not worry about stalling.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back