The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

General Intake options 1gb (1993)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93eclipse113

Probationary Member
Aug 15, 2021
Palm Bay, Florida
Hey, i'm looking for intake options for my 1g (stock tune)Should i stick with a 1g maf and aluminum pipe? Can i run a translator to a 2g maf without tuning ? im just looking for a better look than this rubber pipe, it's old and beat up and if not what could i do to run the stock maf with an aluminum pipe and where could i get one?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hey, i'm looking for intake options for my 1g (stock tune)Should i stick with a 1g maf and aluminum pipe? Can i run a translator to a 2g maf without tuning ? im just looking for a better look than this rubber pipe, it's old and beat up and if not what could i do to run the stock maf with an aluminum pipe and where could i get one?

A translator and a 2g maf and no tuning....no.
Think of it like this. If you change the input to the ecu, in this case the mas, you need a tuning solution to account for that. A maf translator is a tuning solution that replaces the stock maf and uses a gm maf. Btw it's not a very good solution compared to others.

Do you have a route you would recommend for me to take, i'm looking to use this car as a daily. Eventually i want to push 20ish psi with the supporting mods which won't be too many since i had the engine rebuild by Sidewinder DSM. What Route should i take tuning wise? id be completely new to tuning and it seems there are many options when it comes to DSMs

The general concensus for most us is dsmlink.
What you probably need to answer for yourself is what you need the car to do. Not a list of parts mind you.
For just your immediate question you can get an intake pipe if you want. If you're solely in this for looks that's fine but you may end up doing something else and it would require a change. Keep that in mind.
Check this out.

I recall being able to run the 2g maf without tuning if you also added 550cc injectors. I believe they cancelled each other out and could didn’t have to tune.
It's close from my understanding. Ive not done it personally.. Anybody attempting this should probably have an understanding of tuning still so they know why stuff does what it does.

There's really nothing to undestand about it. 2g maf and 560s cancel eachother out within a percent. 560s require zero deadtime adjustment. Put a 2g maf and 560's in and drive off. Done. Immediate 17-18% more headroom with no compromises.

Though stapl3 post is correct. Ecm link is always a great idea for further headroom. I always tell people maintenance first then ecm link.

2g made 560 great set up I bypassed it and got a gm maf and translator before it got to that set up to try out for myself .

There's really nothing to undestand about it. 2g maf and 560s cancel eachother out within a percent. 560s require zero deadtime adjustment. Put a 2g maf and 560's in and drive off. Done. Immediate 17-18% more headroom with no compromises.
They cancel out because you're telling the ECU that it's seeing less airflow, which makes it deliver less fuel. The bigger injectors cancel this by flowing more at the same duty cycle. The side effect, however, is that now the ECU is on a lower load table with more timing. May be a good thing on race gas, usually isn't on pump gas - especially on the already aggressive 1G timing map. It's 2021, get DSMlink and go speed density and tune correctly for your mods.

For reference, this is maf comp adjustment when I was on 2g maf & 560's. Not too far off so I'd assume it would still run.

Attachments

• log.2021.11.03-01.elg
    12.2 KB · Views: 22
For reference, this is maf comp adjustment when I was on 2g maf & 560's. Not too far off so I'd assume it would still run.

This graph is misleading. You had to add that much airflow because your fuel system is not calibrated correctly by about 5%.

Last edited:
They cancel out because you're telling the ECU that it's seeing less airflow, which makes it deliver less fuel. The bigger injectors cancel this by flowing more at the same duty cycle. The side effect, however, is that now the ECU is on a lower load table with more timing. May be a good thing on race gas, usually isn't on pump gas - especially on the already aggressive 1G timing map. It's 2021, get DSMlink and go speed density and tune correctly for your mods.
Ironically the more you push it the better off you are with that timing skew. But the CAS can be tweaked a bit and it's no different from whats been going on with using safc's for decades now. 'Link for 1gs has only been around for like a dozen years I think.

Peak VE is at ~1800hz which you have your airflow adjustment at +5.5%.
So when tuning maf, you want to be at 0% adjustment at 1800hz?

To sum this up, you’d increase global by ~5% and bring the sliders down? Is that correct?

Ironically the more you push it the better off you are with that timing skew. But the CAS can be tweaked a bit and it's no different from whats been going on with using safc's for decades now. 'Link for 1gs has only been around for like a dozen years I think.
On race gas, that extra timing really woke these cars up back in the day. We ran 11.0 @ 126 on a VPC, 550s, 20g, 272s, and no wideband. Stock 1G 7 bolt, head and intake manifold. Just plain old C16, leaned out, and 25+ degrees of timing at 30 psi. On pump, different story. You're not running over 20 psi without lots of knock on most setups. Yes, you can mess with the CAS and other tricks, but again when DSMlink exists, there's no need for the band-aids anymore. Also, we did have chip tuning before Link came out for 1Gs too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back