The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

intake manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lnewton1974

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 21, 2009
middlebury, Indiana
just needing to know is the intake manifold off the 1g an upgrade for the 2g's. i was told that they were. just wanting to know before i buy one. thanks for any info anyone can give me.

Shorter runners and a larger runner diameter, plus the 1G throttle body is bigger. It is an upgrade if your looking for more power up top.

ABSOLUTELY NOT if you are still running an unported 2g head. Besides that most port jobs that are done to bring the ports in a 2g head up to the size of 1g IM ports make the head a piece of junk that flows poorly.

You have two realistic choices if you want to use an OEM manifold as an upgrade, the first is to get a 1g head and intake manifold and the second is to get an evo3 intake manifold. I would suggest option 2 because you'll see better transient throttle response and a higher choke point.

ok thanks for the advice what would you suggest i use to tune it and i have plans to buy an evo 3 16g turbo. with that turbo what size injectors should i get

Use the ecu that is already in your car with an openport 2.0 cable and the definitions provided by ceddy.

Start reading.

These are DSM specific threads
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tun...first-flashed-dsm-ecu-98-99-flashing-faq.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tuning-engine-management/347070-ceddymod-v1-ecuflash.html

This is the ecuflash specific forum over at evolutionm.net which will help you with a lot of troubleshooting and good articles on tuning.
EcuFlash - evolutionm.net

Definitely. Buy the openport 2.0 flashing/logging cable for $189 and you're good to go. I bought mine from a place called tunertools, their shipping was fast and FREE. Then you're ready to do some reading to learn how to tune, and then have at it.

Try and score an EVO 3 intake manifold, theyre sick and they bolt right up to the head. i put one on the 14b car i was building since we used a 7 bolt head on the 6 blt block, and with the 264 cams, the gains were HUGE. Thats much better than even the thought of a 6 bolt mani, plus it will fit and not cause any interrupted air flow.

thanks for the help and steering me in the right direction. will do that right away

I'll second SBR on the Evo3 intake manifold. That is an improvement over the stock manifold and can be had for cheap. The RVR manifold is the same thing but missing a vacuum nipple and will need the inlet ported out to 60mm (which isn't much porting at all) if you run the 1g TB. I have the RVR on mine and it was nice. Only downside is it has no provision for the EGR. At least mine didn't anyway.

You'll need to run the 1g TB or the N/T TB which both are larger than the 2g TB.

I'll second SBR on the Evo3 intake manifold. That is an improvement over the stock manifold and can be had for cheap. The RVR manifold is the same thing but missing a vacuum nipple and will need the inlet ported out to 60mm (which isn't much porting at all) if you run the 1g TB. I have the RVR on mine and it was nice. Only downside is it has no provision for the EGR. At least mine didn't anyway.

You'll need to run the 1g TB or the N/T TB which both are larger than the 2g TB.

Yeah i eliminate all that crap anyways, so not having an EGR port on the EVO 3 intake mani was a plus, also it is flanged for the 1g tb like you mentioned already, so no porting is another plus.

Ill try and snap some pics of the differences between stock 2g and EVO 3, the plenum/runner design is remarkable over the stock mani.

Cyclone 1G EvoIII. My 2G manifold was on the car so it missed the photo shoot.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

About $150 usually. You can find them on ebay and sometimes in the classifieds on this site. They are a bit of a pain to find. Here is a thread to read all about them.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/245603-lancer-evolution-iii-intake-manifold.html

As mentioned though at your power level you are actually much better off investing your money elsewhere.

Yup thats about it. 150-160 shipped is the most ive seen. One of my buddies hooked me up from the Cayman islands for free, but everyone i see sells them for no more than that.

Mork is right, as it's not required for you to get one right now, but I will say that if you find one for cheap, pick it up. Also, you can search for the RVR manifold and it'll look very similar to the EVO3 externally but just needs ported out. May find one of those for cheaper if your lucky.

again i want to take a minute and thank everyone that has helped me in this question and i will take the advice. with what i d have done to my car what would be the next thing i should do, new turbo maybe?

I would say to go fuel and fuel related mods like tuning. Sure you can just go and get a bigger turbo, but without the proper supporting mods, you'll either destroy your motor or won't be able to run the turbo efficently.

I did just about everything I could with bolt on parts before moving to tuning and none of it made the difference that I saw once I could start tuning. If I had it all to do over again a tuning system would be one of the first things I did because it allows you to see the most gains from every other dollar that you stick into your car.

Get an openport 2.0 cable and evoscan. Together you're looking at just a touch over $200 for a lot of good stuff.

where can i get one at, it seems to be the best way to go, so instead of spending money on the intake manifold i could just get that first thanks

Discussion of the Hyundai manifold in question starts on the 2nd or 3rd page in this thread. I've never seen anyone put any data or real world experience out there for it. By the shape of it it looks to be a better IM than the 2g piece but the ports aren't perfectly matched to a 2g head, some minor port matching and smoothing would probably be necessary for the best results.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/316991-budget-intake-manifold-tb-options.html

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back