The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Installed S-AFC and 680 Inj - Now car wont start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EclipseGSX13

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 9, 2002
Bellevue, Ohio
I just installed my afc and 680 injectors and a 255 fuel pump, My fuel pressure is at 41 psi right now (is that the right setting for my fpr?)

Well I did have the afc set to -20%, and my car wouldnt even crank over. It would turn over for about 2 seconds then it seemed like the starter would bog down (deadhead) for about 1/2 a second then try to turn over again, and it would keep repeating that cycle. The battery is charged and I havent every had a problem with my started, so it makes the think its something I just installed.

I took the spark plugs out and they did have some gas on them, so I cleaned them and dried them off and put them back in, and I set my afc to -24% I still get the same thing.

Should I change the setting to -30%, is there anything else I might be overlooking?

fyi, it is set to karman and i did use the pink to the harness and orange wire to the mas

I don't know about the wiring, but set did you set your afpr with the vac line off? 43 is the stock setting, so 41 is pretty close. Set your afc to -30 across the board to start the car. Then bust out the logger.

I havent messed with the fpr, it is set at its default setting (which happens to be 41psi. Should I leave it here or bump it up higher? and do I need the vac. line off when I adjust it?

well I set the afc for -30%, and she still doesnt want to start. It will keep cranking over but never start, and it still has the hessitation/deadheading about every 2 seconds when cranking.

I can smell gas after a while, so I know its getting gas in there. A friends said maybe one of the injectors I put in has a leak (keeps dripping gas into the cylinder), and maybe thats causing the deadheading at start...

Any thoughts?

Have you pulled a plug and held it to the valve cover to make sure you are getting a spark?

Are all intercooler pipes still connected?

Did you disconnect any other wiring harnesses? Power transistor (or whatever it is called, right on the back of the valve cover)? Are all ecu plugs plugged in?

It looks like your having the same thing that happened with me except I was only driving.

-My problem was that CAS wire that is located on the plug that connects to the CAS came off while I was driving and killed my car...had to two it home. Would crank and hesitate to start but wouldn't and got the gas smell.

Joey 99GSX:thumb:

well I got some time to work on it, but still nothing. I checked all the wires and they seem to be connectect, I took the injectors out and looked at them and made sure I reinstalled them properly.

I havent done the thing where you hold the spark part of the wire to the valve cover, could that possibly short out the cpu or do any damage. If not what do I have to do, put the sparkplug wire up to the valve cover, since its in the rubber a little ways, will it actually make a spark over that distance?

Leave a spark plug in the end of the boot and ground the threads of the spark plug to the valve cover. Otherwise you won't get a spark as the circuit is not completed.

With the car on are you getting a hz reading on the AFC? (assuming you have a SAFC
here)
If you have an original AFC there are a bunch of jumper settings you may need to change.

Originally posted by splattj
With the car on are you getting a hz reading on the AFC? (assuming you have a SAFC
here)
If you have an original AFC there are a bunch of jumper settings you may need to change.

I have a s-afc 2
I am getting a hz reading of 3 hz on the karman reading, with the ignition turned on.
Is that what it is suppose to be?

i know this might sound dumb, but did you key in all the initial settings on the afc? You have to set them up for your car, and i know people who couldnt get there car to start or run right, and thats all it was.

Originally posted by gtrsrf10
i know this might sound dumb, but did you key in all the initial settings on the afc? You have to set them up for your car, and i know people who couldnt get there car to start or run right, and thats all it was.

I went through all setups that I know of.

Heres a copy of what I followed (prostreetonline.com)

A few installation tips first. Be sure to use the Pink and Orange wires for the airflow signal wires, and NOT the Yellow and White wires. The AFC is a universal device and is setup to handle both Speed-Density and Mass-Airflow type systems. The Pink and Orange wires are for Mass-Airflow systems like DSMs.

In the Etc Menu, set the Sensor Type to "Karman" for a DSM. The Car Select should be set to Cyl 4 with the Thr arrow pointing up meaning a rising rate throttle position sensor. Set the GRPH Scale to 30, Initialize will reset everything to factory defaults so it should be set to No.

1. Monitor

For monitoring gauge functions, we like the following settings:
RPM, Karman, Correction and Throttle Position
-------------------------------------------------------

I have the pink wire going to the harness and the orange wire going to the car, that part is correct isnt it??

Is there something else they are missing here? or something I should look at that could tell me if the S-AFC is the problem?

well im pretty sure it should be up/right, but i dont think that could cause the prob...

Im not sure what you mean by, " it should be up/right"

well theres 8 diff settings, up, down, right, left, and then up/right, right/down, down/left, and left/up. Now i cant remember off the top of my head but im pretty sure its either up/right or up/left, i think its up/right though. Look into it a lil and try looking at apexi's website.

On my car with 680's and a hacked 2g mas in order for my car to start, I had to have my low settings @ +20. Try going in the plus settings and see if that works. It did for me.

well theres 8 diff settings, up, down, right, left, and then up/right, right/down, down/left, and left/up. Now i cant remember off the top of my head but im pretty sure its either up/right or up/left, i think its up/right though. Look into it a lil and try looking at apexi's website.

I dont really understand what your saying. I get the part about the knob going in 8 directions, but what setting are you talking about?

Originally posted by nineD5_GS-T
On my car with 680's and a hacked 2g mas in order for my car to start, I had to have my low settings @ +20. Try going in the plus settings and see if that works. It did for me.

I will give this a try and see what happens

This will sound ridiculous, but after I installed my s-afc and attempted to start my car, it wouldn't start. After a few hundred naughty words and a minute later, I realized I had forgotten to hook the negative cable back up to my battery.. Thank god for that.

Just an example, I would check over everything first, start with the obvious.

-rivet0r

Originally posted by rivet0r
This will sound ridiculous, but after I installed my s-afc and attempted to start my car, it wouldn't start. After a few hundred naughty words and a minute later, I realized I had forgotten to hook the negative cable back up to my battery.. Thank god for that.

Just an example, I would check over everything first, start with the obvious.

-rivet0r

Thats one of the first things I did, I checked all the wires. and even tightend down the nut on the top of the battery clamp ( I even fully charged the battery and hooked up a multimeter)

take this one step by step.

hook up the logger.

run a diagnostic test.

make sure everything is connected.

if that still doesn't work, pull the injectors and turn the ignition of the car on and check for a leak.

But, first hook up the logger.

I think someone mentioned it early but if your CAS (Cam Angle Sensor) is faulty or improperly hooked up, it's not going to start.

You could always spray ether into the intake and that will get it started (just playing, or am i?!?!)

It's also possible that you just got a bad unit. It's not at all uncommon these days that consumer electronics are bad out of the box. If all else fails, you can always check with someone else's SAFCII.

Originally posted by dets
take this one step by step.

hook up the logger.

run a diagnostic test.

make sure everything is connected.

if that still doesn't work, pull the injectors and turn the ignition of the car on and check for a leak.

what do you mean by pull the injectors and turn the ignition of the car on and check for a leak.

remove the fuel rail with the injectors in place. be careful of the harness's and all, on older dsm's they are pretty fragile. then just turn the ignition key. you will hear the pump click on and if your injectors are leaky, you will notice gas coming out of them.

but i still think you need to datalog your car first.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back