The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Injectors 1 and 4 not firing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koda

Proven Member
Jun 2, 2019
Butler, Pennsylvania
So funny story, my dsm is broke again right when I thought I fixed everything, I have a 1995 eclipse gsx and I recently had problems with what I thought was the ECU , I now realized that the tuned blackbox wasn’t working because two Injectors were not firing , but I also have a stock ECU and the car will run with the stock one in , but smokes from the exhaust and smells like raw gas. I found out injectors 1 and 4 weren’t working whenever I unplugged both of them at the same time and the car stayed running with no change in the idle at all. I unplugged injectors 2 and 3 and the car stalls due to the fuel being cut. I tested the fuel resistor box that is mounted on the fire wall and it read 7.1 ohms on all pins.PLEASE HELP, I have to drive it to storage before winter comes and with all the time I have into it I don’t want it to start rusting because I couldn’t get it there.

Last edited:
Its sounding like a bad cam angle sensor to me, what cam angle sensor do you have? is it the factory one under the cam sprocket? or is there a 1g style cam sensor on the passenger side of the head on the intake camshaft instead? if you still have the factory 95'-96' style, now might be a good time to switch to the 1g style without having to remove the timing belt to repair the 95'-96' cam angle sensor.

cylinders 1 and 4 have no spark

When This problem first started the tach and speedometer also stopped working

Sorry I’m bad with wiring can you explain the diagram to me somewhat
Find ECU connector B-53. It's the bottom one plugged into the ECU.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It looks like this:

Pin #10 in it has a black wire with a blue stripe on it which connects directly to pin #7 of the PTU connector A-92, which is the connector I gave you a pic of in the first image in post 23. Verify with your meter that you have good continuity between these two pins, otherwise that black with blue striped wire is broken somewhere.

If the car is set up for the 98 ECU, the plug wires would have been swapped from one coil to the other. If this is the case, you'll have to check the brown with red stripe wire that goes between pin #23 on B-53 at the ECU and pin #2 on A-92 at the PTU.

The white wire connected to pin #4 of the PTU feeds a tachometer signal to the instrument cluster. However, if the PTU fails or doesn't receive a control signal from the ECU on one of it's two circuits (one for each coil primary) the signal to the tachometer will be either half the actual engine speed or no reading at all.

The wire from the PTU to control discharge of the coil for cylinders 1 and 4 leaves the PTU on pin #8 and is a black wire with a white stripe. This wire connects to the engine speed detection connector and then changes color to blue with a red stripe before reaching pin #2 of the coil pack connector A-62. Verify good continuity between PTU pin 8 and the coil pack connector pin 2.

In case you have it set up for the 98 ECU, the other coil is controlled by the PTU through the blue wire with the black stripe which connects to pin #1 of the PTU and pin #1 of the coil connector.

Hope that helps.

Find ECU connector B-53. It's the bottom one plugged into the ECU.

It looks like this:

Pin #10 in it has a black wire with a blue stripe on it which connects directly to pin #7 of the PTU connector A-92, which is the connector I gave you a pic of in the first image in post 23. Verify with your meter that you have good continuity between these two pins, otherwise that black with blue striped wire is broken somewhere.

If the car is set up for the 98 ECU, the plug wires would have been swapped from one coil to the other. If this is the case, you'll have to check the brown with red stripe wire that goes between pin #23 on B-53 at the ECU and pin #2 on A-92 at the PTU.

The white wire connected to pin #4 of the PTU feeds a tachometer signal to the instrument cluster. However, if the PTU fails or doesn't receive a control signal from the ECU on one of it's two circuits (one for each coil primary) the signal to the tachometer will be either half the actual engine speed or no reading at all.

The wire from the PTU to control discharge of the coil for cylinders 1 and 4 leaves the PTU on pin #8 and is a black wire with a white stripe. This wire connects to the engine speed detection connector and then changes color to blue with a red stripe before reaching pin #2 of the coil pack connector A-62. Verify good continuity between PTU pin 8 and the coil pack connector pin 2.

In case you have it set up for the 98 ECU, the other coil is controlled by the PTU through the blue wire with the black stripe which connects to pin #1 of the PTU and pin #1 of the coil connector.

Hope that helps.

thank you so much I found it was one of the pins inside the transistor itself , i tried several different ones and they didn’t work but they were from a junkyard so actually taking the time to look at the original one I found one of the pins was crooked and backed out, no idea how it happened but I found a way to push it back in and straighten it up and it’s running now , luckily it wasn’t one of the wires to the ecu itself , I appreciate all the help guys

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back