The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Idle Surge problem! Can't figure it out and I've searched!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1997_GST

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 10, 2009
Mansfield, Texas
Okay, so i have a 97 GST that i did a 5-speed swap on. The car runs, I drove it from Mansfield, TX to Electra, TX, about a 2.5 hour drive,. The car has a idle surge. And it's annoying and makes me mad!!! LOL It had a SAFC hooked up to it but i removed it to see if that would change anything and it didn't. I've tried different ecus and still does it.

The surge is like between 1100 rpm and 1800 rpm... and if i give it gas it revs fine but after i let off the throttle it sticks at like 2500 rpms for a split second then goes back to the surging...

If i drive the car and like barley hold it in 1st gear it like changes the throttle on it's own...but does fine while normal driving at highway speeds...

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED AND REMEMBER I DID SEARCH ON THIS AND COULDN'T FIND ANYTHING THAT MATCHED EXACTLY MY PROBLEM....

THANKS!!!!!

You said you searched, what all have you actually tried so far?

Searching "idle surge" yields plenty of results. They all point to testing the ISC, TPS/Idle Switch, checking tension on the throttle cable, checking for boost leaks, cleaning the throttle body..

You could read the link already posted, or you could check out vfaq.com or plymouthlaser.com.

easy things first,
set your BISS down to where the low part of your idle is at about 790-850rpm at operating temp.
shut the car down remove your idle control valve (isc) it is a 2 screw attatchment just under your throttle body and inspect it for damage/carbon deposits. have an assistant turn the ignition to the "on" position but do not start, the plunger "should" move in and out when this happens, if so clean and reinstall, if no movement present remove and replace. The ISC is natoriously an issue, my engine has had ALL electrical replaced 38k miles ago and i have allready gone through 1 ISC the quality of parts just arent what they where 20 years ago.:sneaky:
i am 80% positive this is your problem.

surge is caused by the ecu not getting a steady airflow metering. if the car is at operating temp disconnect the isc and see if fixes the problem. make sure you have no boost leaks ( boost leak test)

p.s' an easy way to test your isc without a voltmeter is to remove it from the throttle body ( two 8mm screws) with the connector still attached and have some one turn the ignition to the on position. if the tip of the isc retracts( when the ignition on) completely and than extends completely it is functioning properly. if it just buzzes and shakes then the isc is faulty.

Okay i appreciate the info, I will check tonight when I get off work at midnight...check back and i will have info on how it went testing the ISC.

and i do have a service manual but its in mansfield tx 2.5 hours from where i currently live -__-

We gave you a LOT more to do than just testing the ISC, do it all, then report back.

surge is caused by the ecu not getting a steady airflow metering. If the car is at operating temp disconnect the isc and see if fixes the problem. Make sure you have no boost leaks ( boost leak test)

p.s' an easy way to test your isc without a voltmeter is to remove it from the throttle body ( two 8mm screws) with the connector still attached and have some one turn the ignition to the on position. If the tip of the isc retracts( when the ignition on) completely and than extends completely it is functioning properly. If it just buzzes and shakes then the isc is faulty.

ya wut he saidrofl

easy things first,
set your BISS down to where the low part of your idle is at about 790-850rpm at operating temp.
shut the car down remove your idle control valve (isc) it is a 2 screw attatchment just under your throttle body and inspect it for damage/carbon deposits. have an assistant turn the ignition to the "on" position but do not start, the plunger "should" move in and out when this happens, if so clean and reinstall, if no movement present remove and replace. The ISC is natoriously an issue, my engine has had ALL electrical replaced 38k miles ago and i have allready gone through 1 ISC the quality of parts just arent what they where 20 years ago.:sneaky:
i am 80% positive this is your problem.

a moving isc does not mean the valve is functioning. which is why i re described what you already mentioned. and a good/bad isc will always have carbon deposits on it.

ps. biss asjutment will not drop engine speed on a surging motor LOL

Again the link on idle surge have you tire everything yet. Test your isc, do boost leaks, so many things to look at. Pick one and go from there.

okay well i took my throttle body off and took the isc out and turned the key to the on position and it did nothing but vibrated a little bit... so im waiting for my buddy to ship me one and see if that fixes it...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back