The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

I need an electric equivalent to an air hammer to remove bushings

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talyn

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 10, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I no longer work as a technician with access to air compressors, and no longer have my air tools for that matter. I need to push some bushings out so I can install my polys, but I can't seem to find an electric version of an air hammer, and I've never seen one.
The closest two things I found were a jackhammer, which is just too big and complete overkill. Or a rotary SDS (whatever that stands for) hammer/drill. But I don't need the rotational function, and I have no idea how this compares to an air hammer for power.
If anybody has used a rotary SDS and can give me an idea of whether or not it would be comparably powerful, or has a better solution please let me know.
And I am looking for a tool to do it myself, I know that I could take the pieces somewhere, and if I have to I will, but I'd rather have the tools to be able to do it myself so don't just suggest I take them somewhere. Oh and I am not buying an air compressor, they are too big and for a reliable one, too expensive, and I already have an electric impact wrench, and I like that I can just throw that in my car and use it anywhere theres electricity. In a shop an air compressor makes sense, for the DIY with 3 cars in 3 different places it doesn't.

Is this what you are talking about for the rotary SDS hammer drill?
https://www.milwaukeetool.ca/power-tools/corded/5268-21

I used to use something similar to drive 10 foot long ground rods at work. I imagine it could work in this situation but it's rather big and awkward.

Why not just burn the bushings out? That's my plan with my trans mount in my car.
Fire solves all.

Yeah, that's the type of tool I was referring to. For one thing I don't have a torch, and it'd make a mess even if I did, and I'd probably get an earful about the smell. (and the mess) but more importantly, the metal shells have to come out too I think.

Won't I need at a minimum one of those handheld torches? Or can they just be set on fire? I hadn't really thought of cutting the shell.

Just to add my experience here. I took a hole saw to everything when I switched to poly. The hole saw get out a good chunk of the rubber. Then take a sawzall to cut the metal bushing. From there pound it out with a hammer or cave it in a bit with a chisel and hammer.

Time consuming but it works.

I got one of those torches for cheap from HF. Nuked away then sawzall'd the metal sleeves out. Loads of fun.

Was it a mini torch or the one that uses a tank about soda bottle sized? And still waiting for someone to chime in if they have to be melted out, or if they burn easily and could just be lit on fire with say a lighter? I'm assuming that a torch is needed?

Last edited:
You can always use a drill with drill bits and go around the diameter of the bushing, then use a saw and cut two lines into the bushing shell (into two C's), then pop them out. You don't need a torch. An air hammer is best, but heck, a drill with bits works just fine, or a rotary tool like a Rotozip.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back