The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

HX35 install, DIY manifold, dp, intake, bypass oil feed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmlifestyle

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 15, 2007
Dayton, Ohio
I finally finished my HX35 install....well, kinda. I did some initial idle tuning and cruise tuning, using my old setup as the base. I made one WOT pull and quickly concluded that I am not finished with my purchases. The log showed ~51 lbs/min at 7100 rpm and still climbing with no knock. Well, this pretty much maxed the 2g maf out at ~3000 Hz (she stay pretty smooth, with only a SMALL ripple).

The upgrades include a HX35 from a 98' Dodge diesel, Delta 272 cams, DIY SS equal length manifold (fittings from Acestainless), new DIY 3" SS down pipe, DIY 4" intake, -16 AN drain (that was a pain in the ass), and an oil feed that uses a bypass for pressure control.

The bad: My EVO 8 fp is maaaxxxxxeeeeedddddd out, and she is still sitting in ultra 4x4 mode!

Oh, and my welding still needs work, but the down pipe came out pretty well, so it is improving.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The diy manifold and downpipe looks nice and i'm sure is very functional.
I'm gueesing you did the manifold twin scroll?
Is it 7 or 8blade hx35?, 51lb/min is good numbers

Wow very impressive. May ask ask, what is the function of the black fitting on your oil pan since youre using a diff drain?

Curious how much you have invested into the manifold between the weld-els and flanges?
Any logs you could post up for us?

That oil drain is where it's at for sure. Good work on the while thing....that 35 should NEVER fail with a pressure-limited supply and a drain the size of a firehose.

It makes me proud when someone steps up to the plate with a full understanding of what their turbo's needs are instead of just buy "Brand X" oil supply and "Brand Y" oil drain because that's what works for 13 other turbo brands.

The diy manifold and downpipe looks nice and i'm sure is very functional.
I'm gueesing you did the manifold twin scroll?
Is it 7 or 8blade hx35?, 51lb/min is good numbers

The turbo is an hx35, eight blade. I originally wanted to go with a twin scroll, but I needed some short radius elbows, and it was A LOT more work to figure everything out, plus this is my first manifold, so I didn't want to get too crazy. I already want to make another one, except for a twin scroll, now that I know some of the ins and outs.

As far as the cost:
~$120 for 14 SS sch10 90's and 3 feet of SCH10 tubing (1.5")
~$80 for the head flange, they can be found cheaper, but it was CNC'd in the states
-$20 for the t3 flange
$60 for two Argon fills (55 cf)
$15 for 308L filler

It's not the cheapest, but I take pride in it.

That oil drain is where it's at for sure. Good work on the while thing....that 35 should NEVER fail with a pressure-limited supply and a drain the size of a firehose.

It makes me proud when someone steps up to the plate with a full understanding of what their turbo's needs are instead of just buy "Brand X" oil supply and "Brand Y" oil drain because that's what works for 13 other turbo brands.

Thanks for the props, I tried to think everything out before I did it. As we all know though, sometimes you can't figure out everything in advance, and the -16 AN drain was the exception. Hopefully my experimenting will save someone some money and headaches.

I learned that Jeg's and Summit's AN fitting (house brand) are very different in the way they make their fittings. Summit's fittings are longer and the overall bends are larger (a huge problem with the limited space from the bottom of the turbo to the pan).

I ended up blowing $50 on two fittings from Summit because they were too long :ohdamn:(90 and a straight). The drain starts out with a nipple welded-at an angle-to a drain flange, then goes to a Jeg's 90 -16, attaching to a bung welded on the pan. All I can say is those fittings are HUGE :hellyeah::rocks:

That looks to be the return line for the oil pressure regulator.

Yes, that is the bypass for the oil feed to the turbo. It screws into the -4AN fitting (in the bottom picture), that is tapped to accept the drilled set screws for metering.

This pic should clear things up.

Very nice pieces! For a first it's a very good job IMO... Looks like it should perform well too! I ,ust give props to those who build theirnown mani's Good work :thumb:

Well, it's lte and i must sleep but i wanted to say that i was impresed.... Keep it up and you'll be back logged wth mani's in no time :)

51lbs/mn is very impresive, a little more tuning and she should really be screaming!

I like the pie cut downpipe, looks good. Did you backpurge all of the ss parts?

Yes, all the tubing was back purged, ghetto style. Aluminum foil and a small bottle of argon, no fancy plugs here. Thanks for the props.

Just to add, If you don't back purge your SS pipe welds (or use some soalrflux B) the back where the SS liquifies will do what's called "sugaring" and will leave this crusty bubbled up black mess of a crust that's no good for anything in a car's engine or turbo... NOt to mention it's a weak place/starting point for the weld to crack.. almost reminds you of the ash from those "snakes" you light and they grow , ya know the ones from when you were too young fo rreal fireworks LOL

I don't get how the turbo feed works off the bypass, but then i dont really know how and when the bypass in our oiling system is working either, but hey if it works use it

What's the wall thickness on that DP Material? I had my supplier order me in some 3' SS for a DP build but the wall was like 1/8th inch and i felt would be too heavy for a DP as i asked for 16 gauge so it's jsut sitting there waiting for a purpose LOL

Also, with your build do you think you could fit the stock passenger side main fan in there or are you forced to go slim line now? I really want an hx35 but the one thing i won't go through again is to have to give up my good main fan and lose my AC on hot days out of fear of overheating again

dumb question and ### correct me if im wrong.. but with that big of a drain line, the turbo would not be able to hold any oil.. if you had any restriction on the feed line, it would not supply enough oil for the turbo. mainly because it would exit faster than it is supplied..

like i said ### correct me if i am wrong.. just a thought tho

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back