1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G HVAC Ducting

Posted by eunosm3, Feb 3, 2019

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. eunosm3

eunosm3 Probationary Member

Joined Jan 5, 2019
    Noblesville, Indiana
    The problem: My new-to-me 91 Talon won't defrost the driver's side of the windshield.

Will someone please post a diagram or pics of how a 1G DSM's hvac ducts should look under the dash? The heat works, and the passenger's side of the windshield will defrost, so I figure I'm missing one or more pieces of the hvac ducting. I do not know how it *should* look, though. I searched the forums and the broader interwebs, but I never found what I needed.

@dustyboner's pic, here, would work if it was a higher quality.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  2. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    I'd be willing to bet the passenger side is blocked, since there's not a blend door that separates left to right. Mine was recently blocked by a family of mice, so I'd start check the ducts for crap packed in there.

Street Build 250  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

354  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 893  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. eunosm3

Joined Jan 5, 2019
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Thanks for the response, tametalon92. I'll check it out. I hope it's leaves, not the remains of some critter.

4. eunosm3

Joined Jan 5, 2019
    Noblesville, Indiana
    I *finally* made time to investigate this. A central vent appears to feed both sides of the window defroster vents, so I considered other reasons air wouldn't reach the driver's side. It ended up being caused by the vent door, or whatever mechanism routes the air up or to the dash vents or to the foot wells. The PO had begun gutting the interior, so the HVAC controls were no longer connected to knobs; the cables just stuck out of the dash. Apparently, I hadn't been able to push the appropriate cable in far enough to completely re-route it. At least, that's the theory atm.

5. Steve92talon

Steve92talon Proven Member

Joined Jul 3, 2019
    Fernie, BC, Canada
    Yeah my car was like this. Find the stock control and it will fix the hvac.