The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

ECMlink huge knock problem. First log

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milby43

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 6, 2008
Laurel Springs, New_Jersey
hey guys, I just got this hooked up. Seems i have a knock problem? This was just a cruising log with barely going into boost.

mods are on page if needed. Never done this before so, what to look for when logging would be helpful.

Thanks.

Attachments

• log.2012.03.29-01.elg
    22.6 KB · Views: 77
I'm serious though, have emails to prove it. Although I dont want to show them without his permission of course.

And with tuner pro rt, it was showing alot of knock as well.

I'll try what you said, thanks alot.

yea I understand, like LTFT STFT and stuff like that. Im saving for the chip, should have it by the middle of april

As they said not a lot to go off of... .

Hmmmm:hmm: Tom is Really showing people how to do this ???

could be a faulty knock sensor, I would look at the TPS to make sure its set properly, and put a timing light on it and verify the baseline timing. Looks like anytime it boosts it goes to spark knock.

Just set the TPS today, seemed to be smoother. I think i might try a different tps though.

Timing light was just on it the other day. But Ill try it again I guess.

Tom isnt showing people how to, he doesn't want to give support. It doesn't always work. It was just a last resort for me.

I have lifter tick, could that be it?

Could be a loose knock sensor. I had my 95 Talon do that same thing when the knock sensor was rattling around loose.

Could be a bad knock sensor.

Could be base timing is way off.

Could be a bad knock board inside the ECU (although I don't think we've ever seen that before).

Could be some other problem inside the ECU that's throwing off the knock board (although, again, I don't think we've ever seen that before).

And, yes, you can log a stock DSM ECU with ECMLink (except the 95/96 ECUs). I really didn't want to open that can of worms, though.

It's extremely basic and I'm sure there are bugs all over the place. I didn't really want to release something that had so many potential issues. It would end up giving the wrong impression of our full logger, which is exactly the opposite of what I had in mind when I first added this functionality a couple years ago.

I thought it'd be a great way to let people use our basic software for a while even with stock ECUs. Then they might eventually want to upgrade. But I only had about a weekend to work on it and the results weren't what I had hoped and my time ran out anyway, so it stalled.

Sorry, but I really didn't intend for this to get posted up. But now that it is, please understand why I'm reluctant to post any instructions for how to do it. I guess as long as I make it REALLY clear on the instruction page that our full logger is significantly better, maybe people will understand.

Thomas Dorris

Hey Tom I didn't mean to bring it to the public like that. So I apologize for the inconvenience.

I'm going to go through a few things tomorrow, knock sensor, TPS, timing, and idle.

Again thanks for the input, I know this maybe an aggravating annoyance(someone doing something...half ass), but I really appreciate the help.

Ill fill you guys in tomorrow night EST

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back