The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G How to rewire door switch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91Bomb

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 15, 2003
US, New_Jersey
I swapped door switches several times but still have an intermittent problem where interior lights come on while driving. Some times the switch works every time on/off when operating it manually then it doesn't at all. How can I run a jumper/test wire to see if my wiring is the problem?

A door switch simply closes to ground when a door is open. So if there is a short elsewhere (maybe a ground wire that has been rubbing on a sharp edge) then the light will turn on every time when said wire touches bare metal. Disconnect the switch and go for a drive, if the light still comes on then it is definitely a short. Back tracing grounds from both sides will lead you to where the damage is.

Ok will try disconnecting both switches and see what happens.

If you disconnect both door switches + hatch switch, should interior lights go off or stay on? Because mine stay on..

Kind of a dumb thing, but still: is your dimmer switch for headlights turned all the way up? It does turn on interior lights as well.

And no, with all switches unplugged, provided that plugs are away from any grounds, lights should not be on. Look for a short to ground.

No, dimmer switch is not turned up all the way so looks like I have a short somewhere. I'll have to look at wiring diagrams and figure it out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back