The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

How to program a Keyless Remote [Merged 5-7] fob reprogram programming alarm buttons

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff99gs.. I saw one of your posts saying that you have a RKE/security module from an old talon.. what year talon was it in & do you know the module ID or part number? I ask this because my 91 gsx has a security module, but no RKE (remote keyless entry) & I know the 1gb's came with RKE. So I'm trying to see if the wiring & harness is the same so I could possibly just switch modules & then have a factory RKE/security system. Any help or opinions/advice would be much appreciated.

So I've searched and read this entire thread but haven't come across the same sinario I have. I've got a 98 gst that didn't come with factory keyless. I also have a 95 gsx shell and another 98 gst shell. That both do have the keyless module near the rear speaker. I don't wanna mess with my 98 shell but I was wondering if I could take the module out of the 95 and put it in my running 98 that isn't equipped with keyless, buy a remote and make it work?

I could not get my key fob for a 3g eclipse to work can someone please help? I thought on the first page it said the newer ones would work. I followed the 97+ steps and after turning the key the locks went off like they should. But when I pressed the buttons 3 times nothing happened. Has anyone ever gotten a 3g eclipse fob to work?

Yes I'm positive this is a factory installed alarm system. I have an OMRON MB542448 module, a stock hood pin switch, & a green security light on the instrument cluster... though I'm pretty sure you are correct about 91's not having a keyless remote entry option. Which is kinda stupid in my opinion. I took some pix for proof of the alarm system & some of the alldata bulletin. I'll try & post them soon.

this is the anti-theft module located behind the passenger side kick panel. it takes the place of the power door lock module.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

this is the green security light

this is the stock hood pin switch

this are the two image applications from alldata

alright... well that didnt work. haha

lets try this...

Did you ever figure it out? I have the same system (Except its working)

I finally got mine programed. I kept an eye out for any key fobs for sale and found the right one on ebay for only $16 and free shipping. After I got it I followed the 97+ instructions and it worked right away. As others have stated make sure you know the pin numbering. I didnt look it up thinking it cant be that hard just go left to right top to bottom in order and then I blew my fuse to my door locks LOL.

Nice I stumbled upon this thread a week ago and little to my knowledge I have keyless entry to. Still lookin though ebay though. Did you get the square or oval clicker?

I bought one a couple weeks ago and did the programming as well. Make sure your doors are closed after you jump the pins or none of the process will work. The first how-to I read for programming didn't state this so I ended up thinking I couldn't do it.

Has anyone ever tried programming a third gen eclipse FOB in a 2G? I got a couple 3G fobs from a totaled eclipse at work, and am just curious if they would work?

eclipse 420ags I ordered the three button remote. the modle number was GQ43VT6T. It took me some time to fine one in good shape and at the right price so don't give up. I just google searched the modle number every once and a while and looked through the shopping section.

black widow97 I know first hand that the 3g eclipse remotes do not work. my first car was a 3g eclipse and I found my spare keys one day and tried it with no luck.

Last edited:
I tried jumping pin 1 to pin 4 and it didnt work on my 98 gst and if i ground pin 1 to metal it just blows the door lock fuse. Is there anyway to reprogram my new fobs? Tried using the hazard light button like on 3gs but that didnt work. I put a paperclip in pin 1 to 4 and shut the doors nothing so i left the jumper wire in took the batt cable off waited a sec put the batt cable back on and turned the acc on back off but nothing. What am i doing wrong?

I have Early 95 eclipse. I want to get key fobs for it but all i can find is post i have read. I got a key fob with car it didnt work. But it is a two button fob. Can i get a 3 button key fob for it? I have read you cant use a 3 button on a Early 95? Any luck out there?

Keyless programming for 97+ DSM's
To reprogram your keyless entry system for a new key fob:
1) Turn ignition to OFF.
2) Using the smallest paper clips they make connect pin 1 (yellow wire - central door locking ecu) to pin 4 (black wire - chassis ground) at the Data Link Connector (AKA- OBDII Port) 16-pin black trapazoid looking plug under the drivers side dash on the right side closest to the tunnel hull. Grounding pin 1 tells the system you are getting ready to reprogram it.
3) Close all the doors.
4) Turn the key to ACC, then back to OFF. The power locks will lock/unlock. The system is now ready to be programmed.
5) Press a button on your key fob.
6) If you have two key fobs, press a button on the second fob within 1 minute of pressing a button on the first one. Both must be programmed at the same time. If you only have one remote, press a button on it 2 more times to signal that you only have one.
7) The doors will lock/unlock to signal that the codes were received.
8) Remove the connection between pins 1 & 4.

When the lock button is hit the interior lights will flash twice and it sets the OEM alarm, this is verified by the green security light in the cluster coming on. The horn does not honk, nor do the head/tails flash either.

Pic attached of the connector and the corresponding pins.

If that method doesnt work, which it didnt for me. Use this method:

Keyless programming for 97+ DSM's
To reprogram your keyless entry system for a new key fob:
1) Turn ignition to OFF.
2) Ground pin 1 of the Data Link Connector (black 16-pin connector under dash driver's side). Pin 4 of this connector is a ground, so placing a jumper wire between pins 1 & 4 will accomplish this. Grounding pin 1 tells the system you are getting ready to reprogram it.
3) Close all the doors.
4) Turn the key to ACC, then back to OFF. The power locks will lock/unlock. The system is now ready to be programmed.
5) Press a button on your key fob.
6) If you have two key fobs, press a button on the second fob within 1 minute of pressing a button on the first one. Both must be programmed at the same time. If you only have one remote, press a button on it 2 more times to signal that you only have one.
7) The doors will lock/unlock to signal that the codes were received.
8) Remove the connection between pins 1 & 4.

Just used this method to get my $20 craigslist factory remote working (yes...at 2:00am. I'm a night owl). Thanks so much, this forum and you guys are a treasure of knowledge. Only issue I had is figuring out where Pin 1 and Pin 4 were. Google Images to the rescue. Thanks again, one more item checked off the list.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back