The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

How To Get Rusted Crank Shaft Pulley Off!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdiddy2k4

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 19, 2004
San Antonio, Texas
Hey whats up I got my car in the shop to have the timing belt and balance shaft belt replaced. The shop just called and said that the crank shaft is rusted and that they cant get it off. Does anybody know of anything I can do to get the rusted crank shaft off. This is on a 1995 eagle talon esi

Well the motor you have is a neon based motor. The crank pull/dampener is a PITA. I have seen one mechanic break 2 on the Neons using a coventional 3 jaw puller. I think there may be a special puller for this task.

yeah the mechanic said that he used a 3 jaw and his tool broke.....called the chrysler dealership and they tell me that a 3 jaw is supposed to be used with a special insert... is it possible that the mechanics puller was too weak hence that it broke? if so i can go to autozone and get a 3 jaw 5 ton puller.

I had the same problem with mine, and I actually made my little 3 jaw after my big one wouldn't fit into the holes. And try not to laugh too hard, I'm not saying this will work on your car, you might screw it up, but I got mine out using a modified 6 inch 3/8 extension. I basically rounded off the square end, put it in until it bottomed out, then gave it hell with an impact. At that point I was ready to scrap the motor alltogether, so I really didn't care what happened to the crank.
All I can say for sure, is that it worked for my car and it is running (well, it got me to work and back, let you know if that changes... LOL)
Hope this helps.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back