The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

How to torque crank pulley...help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmay316

Probationary Member
Oct 24, 2006
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
I have got pretty much my entire engine reassembled, including all the accessories, belts, etc, but now I need to torque the crank pulley down (not the 4 smaller bolts, but the large retainer bolt in the center. It is snug right now, but definitely not torqued). How can I do this without the crank spinning? I have a 1/2" drive air impact, but it doesnt have a torque readout on it, so I have no idea what it would be tightening it to. I also have access to an electric impact, but I cant imagine that would do me any better than the air impact. So what can I do? I can run it down with the impact, but is that enough (or too much)?

My friend tried pounding his on with an impact and it still came loose after a few hundred miles. I wouldn't trust it, especially since your not even sure of the torque rating on the gun. Is the engine in the car or not? If it's in the car maybe put it in gear and try torquing it like that. Just make sure the e-brake works and is on. I've never actually done this the right way so maybe someone else could provide better info on how to lock the motor. Nevermind....looks like oldman already did LOL!

Yea, the motor is still in the car. I tried with the car in gear and the car lowered on the jack just enough so the passenger tire is in contact with the ground, but the crank still turned (what difference would the ebrake make?). I just got the car back together, so I really dont want to have to spend another night taking the passenger side of the car apart just to lock the flywheel just to torque the crank pulley... surely someone has been in this situation before?

(what difference would the ebrake make?).

That same friend of mine left his car in gear once and his e-brake failed. It rolled backwards down a hill, jumped time and bent all his valves. I was just thinking that with the car in gear it would be trying to roll while you cranked on the pulley bolt and the e-brake would hold it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back