The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

tricks to get the crank pulley off?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gigaah

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 7, 2004
Janesville, Wisconsin
Well I got out to remove the crank pulley to see if its worn out. It does ride on the TB cover. I removed the four bolts and expected it to just come off as I've read. Well the thing is like glued on. I smacked it a bit with a hammer and tried pulling on it. doesn't budge. I don't want to beat on it as I'm afraid I'll bend something else up its attached to or destroy and find out it isn't bad. Any help would be appreciated.

Seems to me that, if it was bad, it would have just separated in two pieces, especially after you banged on it a bit.

I have exactly that. The crank pulley it rubbing on the TB cover. I also have wear marks on the TB cover from two of the accesory belts as well because of this.

I hosed it down tonight. I'll hose it down again tomorrow and pry on it and try to pound it off.

If I ruin it I shouldn't be out too much. My luck today the guy next door comes over and asks me if I'm looking for parts. I told him I might be. He said him and his friend are junking two 1G DSM's next weekend and to let him know what I need and we can work out a deal. I'm sure since its all going to the yard(probably for $35) I should get a sweet deal on a nice list of stuff I would like to have. Get this Fugly clown car pieced up with some talon/eclipse ground effects and spoiler and get to painting. I hope they are going to cut it real cheap. I'd like the ECU's and a bunch of other stuff.

I'll be sure to post if I get the dang thing off and if its messed up.

time for you to get in the zone...autozone.

they rent pullers and tools for free

To get my crank pulley off I used a chain wrench around the pulley, and put a 1/2 dr. breaker bar in the center of the pulley. Let the chain wrench rest on the suspension while you hang off of the breaker bar. I got it off in about twenty minutes with only one soaking of PB blaster. You'll also want to wrap the pulley with a shop rag too. You wouldn't want to mess up your pulley if it's still good. If that doesn't work I used a brass rod and pounded into the center of the pulley with a sledge hammer a few times before I busted out the chain wrench.

Good Luck :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back