The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Cant get the crank pulley off!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjmech

Probationary Member
Dec 24, 2002
Tacoma_WA
Anyone had any luck getting the crank pulley off of a 420A?? I need to replace the water pump and cant get the thing off :mad: The dealer doesnt stock the special puller either, any helpful info is greatly appreciated.

Cj

It is a ##### to get off. But try using two big screwdrivers and wedging them behind it. Then rock them back and forth. That usually works. Prying it off is about the only way to get it off without the puller (which a tool store should be able to get you).

The dealer is full of shiznit. EVERY dealer is sent at least one puller and the pin to go in to the Vibration dampner to remove it. They simply don't want to lend it to you. Chances are every tech in that shop has one if they've worked on Eclipses/Talons for more than a year. The pin that goes in place of the bolt... they may have to borrow from someone else. However, they should all have one.
That pulley is different from the 4g63 one. It's pressed on there with a special tool, or beat on with a Big Friggin' Hammer by the person who doesn't care about the longevity of the engine.
The tool resembles this 13 ton 2 jaw puller in the picture below only has a third leg to pulley grab hold of the pulley. It's not as beafy as that one but looks similar. Chances are you won't be able to get it off without a puller of some sort.
http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/toolcatalog.jsp?cattype=T&cat=2142&select=
Doug

Doug,

The dealer techs did have one and obviously were not going to let me borrow it, I think tomorrow I will go to the hardware store and get the hardest bolt they havethats the right length and thread it till it bottoms out and then use the 3 jaw puller I have on the head of the bolt hopefully it comes off, then i can use the threads on the same bolt with a nut and some washers to reinstall it.

Cj

Originally posted by turboholic

-Is your VR4 A/T or 5 sp?

5 speed

Most mechanics don't lend out their tools. I don't, and I wouldn't expect anyone else to.

I didnt expect them to let me borrow it (and I didnt ask either) for the same reason as you have stated. I did however wonder why they didnt stock that puller kit though.....oh well.

Cj

Wooooohoooo :thumb: ,

I got it off and changed the water pump and got it back together today. Found out that the intake cam timing was off one tooth so I am hoping that that was the cause of the CE light, well see tomorrow. I used a regular 3 arm puller on a longer hardened bolt that I picked up from the bolt/screw store up the road, and used it in place of the pin on the dealer tool. Then used the threads on the same bolt with a nut and washer to re-install the pulley. (Beating it on didnt seem like a good idea on the thrust bearings.)

Car seems to be running a bit better now that the timing is right. I just need to figure out why it still runs wierd when its cold. (rev it when its cold and it goes to like 3k sits there for a sec then slowly drops back down to idle) It also doesnt high idle like most cars when its cold. Any ideas on a fix?

Cj :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back