The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

how much whp can my stock diff and auto trans handle in a 1g dsm?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjg3102

Probationary Member
May 28, 2019
independence, Missouri
how much whp can my stock diff and auto trans handle in a 1g dsm? I was thinking like 325-375 whp maybe?

It should handle that level without any problems as long as maintenance is done. The auto trans is pretty strong and I don't have to change a clutch (if I drive it right).
What year is your 1g? 91,2,3 or 4?
4 bolt or 3 bolt rear dif?

I don't have the 1g yet I am looking and trying to find a nice 93 talon tsi. just trying to find out as much info as possible so that way I don't break it right away.

1992 6/4 Auto car FTW!!! ROFL :p

LOL. so how do I tell if it is a 4 bolt diff or 3 bolt diff and what exhaust sound good through 1g's

You look at the REAR inside hubs that are on the end of the rear axles, where they connect to the rear wheel hubs. There are either 3 bolts that hold them to the rear hubs or there are 4. The 4 are the stronger rear dif.
Best exhaust........Side Exit with a Wastegate coming out there too.....but that's just me.
One of mine has a good note with a Flowmaster at the back and no cat.

thank u just wondering. ok so being new to dsm stuff what does it take to get a 1g to 300whp.

on a side note i was reading something on your profile. u are building a 3rd gen camaro? i have a 85 z28 that i am restoring.

thank u just wondering. ok so being new to dsm stuff what does it take to get a 1g to 300whp.

Ecmlink, 16g, 3" exhaust, 550-650cc injectors, intercooler (upgraded sidemount can do it) and a boost controller, maybe an AFPR and fuel pump w/ rewire. Past that, if your engine is in good condition and maintenance is done, that's all you really would need. 300 hp is pretty easy to achieve, and has been done with less, but the aforementioned mods will give you a safety cushion on tuning.

At that level, the 3 bolt will hold up as long as the launching isn't excessive, but a 4 bolt is always preferable.

Marty has too many cars, he should give me some :p (like I need anymore!)

Last edited:
thank u. is 300whp in one of these car good for daily driving or not? As this car will be my daily. LOL it sound dumb but what does AFPR mean?

If maintenance is kept up-to-date and you don't drive like a hoonigan, I don't see why you couldn't daily it if you wanted. I was daily driving mine 75 miles everyday for 10 years. Heck... I still take mine to work 2-3 days a week when the weather is nice.

AFPR- Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator

As @SouthIndy_Talon said, you can definitely daily these cars, mine is pseudo-daily, but I drive a different car every day, or try to. I have DD mine in the past and it's performed flawlessly.
300hp is a great DD power, enough for fun but not so much that it stresses major components constantly as long as you don't constantly flog it. I'd estimate mine in the low to kid 200s currently and it's alot of fun to drive, though I'm ready for more.

nice.are all 1g's 6 bolts or where some 7 bolts?

As @SouthIndy_Talon said, you can definitely daily these cars, mine is pseudo-daily, but I drive a different car every day, or try to. I have DD mine in the past and it's performed flawlessly.
300hp is a great DD power, enough for fun but not so much that it stresses major components constantly as long as you don't constantly flog it. I'd estimate mine in the low to kid 200s currently and it's alot of fun to drive, though I'm ready for more.
Why does someone need another car if they drive a different one everyday...
Lmfao
And YES, we build 3rd gens, 1st gens, DSM's, Saturns and just about anything here at WES (Wilson Engine Shop) hehehehe :shhh:

nice.are all 1g's 6 bolts or where some 7 bolts?
Some (94's) for sure had 7 bolts. Thinner connecting rods but more compression. Not sure on the 93s, I have the early 90s models and 1 last year (98) Talon TSI.

Why does someone need another car if they drive a different one everyday...
Lmfao
And YES, we build 3rd gens, 1st gens, DSM's, Saturns and just about anything here at WES (Wilson Engine Shop) hehehehe :shhh:

Moar is better :D

Some (94's) for sure had 7 bolts. Thinner connecting rods but more compression. Not sure on the 93s, I have the early 90s models and 1 last year (98) Talon TSI.

IIRC the changeover from 6 to 7bolt happened in late 92/early 93. I want to say I recall finding some info that said the change was in June of 92, but I don't have the hard facts of that.

If you can find 6 bolts they have a bit better reliability record vs 7 bolts. Just don't go with a crazy heavy clutch, make sure the oil system is excellent and it should be fine.

Your mind is fresher than mine...............
What were we talking about?????
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

how do i tell if a dsm is a 6 bolt or 7 bolt?

how do i tell if a dsm is a 6 bolt or 7 bolt?

Look at the crankshaft-to-flywheel flange, it will either have 6 or 7 flywheel bolts (plus one alignment pin hole, which is smaller).
where is Wilson engine shop located?

Click on his name and it'll tell you where he's from :thumb:

In our experience, a bone stock AT trans at full line pressure (blue wire mod) under boost will hold 400-450whp through the auto (500whp+ 5 speed numbers) until the factory 3rd gear clutch packs eventually start to slip/flare. This was good for mid 10's.

A 3 bolt rear will usually be fine with an open center diff as the front tires will generally unload and spin before too much power can be transferred to the rear. Once the center diff is welded, it will be able to hook well enough to start snapping axles- even on street tires.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back