The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

How Can I Remove Algae from Coolant Overflow Tank?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RallyEclipse98

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 31, 2007
Dallas, Texas
So like most of you, my coolant overflow tank is lined with green algae. I'm not concerned but since my fluid is drained, I want to clean it out if possible. I have tried vinegar, non-diluted bleach, and dawn dish soap. Nothing really worked. Any suggestions?

10:1 concentrated aluminum wheel cleaner acid. Used it on mine when I pulled it from the salvage yard had some sludge and other various things in it, filled it up and let it sit for about ten minutes. Of course I rinsed it out with soap and water before I put coolant in it and put it in the car. Haven't had a problem since.

Baby bottle brush and some purple power, let it sit then go at it. Throw away brush. No lather rinse repeat on that.

I used Comet with bleach and it cleaned it right out. Must give it some good shakes though and you must go through the hole process a couple of times to get it all out. A brush does help for those places where it's stubborn.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Just make sure to rinse thoroughly afterwards.

Maybe hot/mild water would lossen it up and I'm sure you could pressure wash it. They are cheap at the you pull it sometimes

In my experience for cleaning crap in general, simple green works much better than purple power. I have soaked original 100k mile heads in simple green then powerwashed and the head looked new. Purple power worked as well but didn't seem to work as well.

Thanks for the replies! A bottle brush should do the trick since where I could get my finger in to scrub, the slime came off fine with just soap and water. I'll report back and mark the thread as resolved.

Okay, so I've been using a bottle brush and it's not capable of getting deep around the bottle. Notice, it's for a 420a... I'm moving on to CLR.

Put some paint remover in there, let it sit for 2 minutes and wash it out.

I would think this would begin to eat away at the plastic, even for a few minutes. Another vote for purple power/simple green and a brush. :)

A bottle brush is really hard to get inside the overflow tank on the 420a. I ended up using a bottle brush where I could and then soaked the tank in CLR overnight. That got rid of 95% of the algae.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I did was filled the bottle with CLR and let it sit over night. Then I used a bottle brush to scrub. This got rid of 95% of the scum. Now I can see how full the container is now!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back