The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Homemade electronic boost controller from boost gauge with peak/warn

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muleunit

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 2, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So I was thinking about making my own electronic boost controller using the prosport elite boost gauge with the peak/warn function. What I want to do is use the peak light as a signal line to open a selenoid to the wastegate. Any input on this? comments? Concerns? before I destroy a perfectly good boost gauge? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
the relay is incase the solenoid draws too much power.

a relay is just a switch. only difference is that it is flipped electronically vs manually with your finger. and it stays flipped only as long as power is going to it. so if the peak light only flashes then the wastegate will only be open part of the time. the peak light must stay on as long as you are over your set boost.

well thats what im asking, will the boost be wildly fluctuating with the light coming on, the wastegate opening and boost dropping, thus turning of the peak light, closing the selenoid, raising the boost again, ect, ect, ect making the boost flutter up and down?

well thats what im asking, will the boost be wildly fluctuating

Yes. You'll see about a ~5psi oscillation when you first hit full boost that will settle to around 2-3psi oscillation.

And an LED drive circuit probably won't even sink enough current to drive a relay. You'd probably have to use a transistor.

I wouldn't take chances amigo. Just save up a little and get a nice ebc and be done with it.

If you still want to try it, make sure it's perfect. I.e.,set it up how you want to the solenoid, and make sure it works accordingly. It pays to be paranoid sometimes.

I don't think it's a terrible idea, it just doesn't switch fast enough to control boost reliably. The pressure switch style EBC works ok at about 15psi, but above that it gets unstable.

If you want to try a different approach, see if you can find a cheap APC from a saab. It's basically a knock-based boost controller that uses PWM to control a boost solenoid. It gives full boost unless it sees knock, then it pulls it back. There's quite a bit of info on them on the net, including full electrical schematics. Changing the values of the pots on the board and a few resistors lets you change the scales it operates on, etc. There are 3 pots on the board- one is boost level, one is boost rise rate and the third is a knock sensor constant that shouldn't be fiddled with. If you're looking for something you can experiment with, it might be right up your alley..

Doesn't work... or doesn't work well anyway.

I used an adjustable boost pressure switch and did the same thing. The switching effect isn't fast enough. I had my boost switch set to 20psi. Boost would hit 20psi then drop to 15 then jump to 25 then fall to 15 etc....

You need a WG solenoid and something with decent pulse width modulation. Not usually cheap....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back