The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Holset Turbos, RESULTS ONLY (COMPLETE INSTALLED SYSTEMS)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HX-40 bullseye t3 .70 a/r
e85
afpr
3 inch turbo back
dsmlink
1000cc
hks 272's
stock bottom end
act2600

Took the car to the track last friday with the boost around 25psi. Pulled it off the trailer first run I laid down an 11.95 @ 116. My injector duty cycle was high so I think I may have had a boost leak. I turned it down to 23psi and got them around 100% to be safe.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nph1CojqfIE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nph1CojqfIE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JVYF6kexZLE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JVYF6kexZLE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

This is still a work in progress, but its together and im driving it so I'll add updates as I get them

I'll get more installed pics this weekend if I have time
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Turbo
60mm 7-blade HX-40 with Holset T4 17cm^2 exhaust housing

Originally it came with a T3 18cm^2 housing, but it was too laggy in a non-divided housing for me

So after months of searching I bought this core with a damaged compressor wheel for the T4 17cm^2 exhaust housing

Platform
92 Eagle Talon AWD 6/4 3100lbs with driver

Engine
The first runs were made with 140 miles on the engine
Scat rods
9:1 stock bore Wiseco pistons (136k miles on bore)
Stock cleaned up 1g head
SS valves
Kiggly springs
HKS 272 cams
Stock 1g intake manifold
Stock TB

Exhaust
JHRacing divided T4 manifold with 44mm wastegates
3" Turbo back exhaust

Fuel
E85
FIC 1650cc injectors
Aeromotive fuel filter and AFPR @ 40psi
Walbro 255HP Intank +255 external ran in series
-8 fuel line

Drivetrain
Stock 2g 5-speed
South Bend Clutch DXD-F clutch
Unorthodox flywheel

Tuning
Eprom ecu with 750cc chip (prevous injectors were Delphi 95lb on e85)
Maft
SAFC2
PLX WB
Pocketlogger

Suspension
AGX KYB struts with Ground controlls
225/50R16 Bridgestone RE-01R on stock 2g 16x6 wheels (took 2 guys and the machine to mount them LOL)

Other mods
Charged Air Top-Bottom flow FMIC
2.25 Lower pipe
2.5 Upper pipe

Ive had a few Holset setups on my car, but this is the one I decided to finish. So far I only have 300 miles on this setup, but im very impressed with it so far. I havent had much time to tune it yet either. Id consider it a great street setup. The power before its spooled is more linear and usable compared to the non-divided mani/18cm housing. Its fully spooled (30psi) around 4200rpm and pulls hard to my 9000rpm rev limit.

Like I said earlier, the engine only had 140 miles on it for its first trip to the track on this new setup. I had to pull 2 all nighters to even get the car done in time and had to take a couple parts with me to fix an ignition problem I found as I was leaving for the track. I changed the injectors the day I left for the track. I took a trip around the block to get a rough tune and thats about it. My afr was at a pretty constant 11:1(thats a gas scale, I usually tune to 12:1) without any knock and i didnt even check the base timing so im not sure how much timing I was running. I didnt really go to push it to the max. I drove it there so i didnt want to break anything. I didnt even get to look at my log from my last run. My tranny shifts its best when its warm and it was cold on all 4 of my runs, so that was giving me a little bit of trouble too. This was also the first time running it with a stutter box and NLTS which is making me relearn how the car likes to be launched.

First run: Bogged the launch. Half way down the track I rested my foot too hard on the clutch pedal and engaged the NLTS and thought I broke something. Still ran a 12.8@98 IIRC. Blew a coolant line on the way back to the pits. Great start to the weekend. :ohdamn: I ran to the parts store for parts to fix the coolant leak and figured out it was the NLTS on the run and not something major. Disabled the NLTS so i didnt have to worry about it.

Second run: Somebody blew a tranny or engine or something and put alot of oil down. The track was shut down for over an hour. I didnt know I got put in that lane. Bogged the launch again, missed second and pretty much gave up after seeing all the oil dry on the last half of the track and shut down. Ran 13.2 I think the other guy ran 7s, so i probably looked super slow. End day 1.

Third run: Bogged the launch again, but not as bad. Missed 4th and ran a 11.97@118. :hellyeah: Personal best time and I knew I could improve it.

Fourth run: I ened up lining up against a Dodge Cummins truck running a compound BW/Bullseye turbo setup. I thought that was a little ironic. Little better launch, but not a good one either. I short shifted into second and shifted a little slower than i usually do to make sure I didnt miss any gears. The truck got me out of the hole but i ran him down and pulled away with a 11.62@125. :D That was the last run of the weekend, but i had a lot of fun considering all the issues.

Here is the slip and vid from the last run. Ignore the lazy reaction time, it was from an arm drop.
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid299.photobucket.com/albums/mm313/boostedts/4thrun1162125mph.flv">

Im going to up the boost to 35-40psi, practice my launches (ive done 1.63 60' on stock suspension) and work on the tune. I have a JMF Drag manifold and Q45 TB for it now too that i need to install. Hopefully after thats done I'll be able to get it in the 10s on a good run unless i break something first. Maybe even at the shootout. :sneaky:

Update.
Well, i havent added any of the new parts yet. I have ran a few 128mph runs and some 1.6x 60', but not any better on the et. Good news is its making more power than when it was to the track the first time. Bad news is the clutch cant hold it. 3rd gear is now worthless even without a launch. Ive decided to swap to an auto. So far i have everything but a converter. Better luck next season.

Last edited:
Made 575 AWHP and 521 AWTQ on buschur mustang dyno at the shootout this past weekend. Intake temps were over 100 degrees and Wastegate was blowing open at 6K rpm, boost starting at near 40psi dropping to 29 by redline .. I'm sure it had at least 50 or more in it if the wastegate would have stayed shut!!

Oh well I have attached the DSMLink logs... Airflow is somewhat uncalibrated since my MAP sensor can only measure up to 39.4 and I was somewhere over that LOL

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1jpdndIRikQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attachments

• dynorun2.elg
    14.9 KB · Views: 302
Last edited by a moderator:
here are my flow numbers

stock intake mani, stock exhaust mani
7 blade, HX35
HKS 264/272 cams
catted TBE

at 7k i am seeing (ECMlink V3 Speed Density)
43 lb/min @ 20psi
47 lb/min @ 25psi
50 lb/min @ 28psi

Here's my results, copied from my dyno thread:

Uncorrected #'s from Speed Industry's Mustang Dyno:
434WHP / 369WTQ
Dyno sheet
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2674/3835342248_f08cb513e7_b.jpg

My setup is listed below for parts reference, important parts:
Stock 6-bolt longblock/intake manifold (added ARP rod bolts and head studs)
FP2 cams using stock gears
60mm 6/12 blade HX40 Pro in BEP .55a/r bolt-on housing
E85 fuel setup, 1550cc FIC BlueMax, 2x255hp walbro pumps in series, -8 Pushloc lines, 78% IDC
Homebrew SS header
AMS FMIC
ECMlink V3 in SD
Thompson Racing Fab DSM flanged 3" o2 housing with 38mm tial, recirculated into a 3" cat-back.

I ended up hitting my goal of 430whp at 31psi with a *very* conservative tune at 12.0 AFR(gas) and 14* timing from 4500 up, so we ended the day there. I still have a Magnus intake manifold to install, but I'm happy with what she put down for now...

Here's the last pull:
YouTube - 98 TSi AWD - Speed Industry Dyno 8-18-09
YouTube - 98 TSi AWD - Speed Industry Dyno 8-18-09

The owner Jan has been great to work with, he really let me run the show how I wanted to, I'd highly recommend their shop for dyno time. Speed Industry, LLC

ECMlink log is attached for one of the last pulls.

Attachments

• log.2009.08.19-02.elg
    10.4 KB · Views: 295
Went 11.7 @ 119 in my fiero with a 1.9 60 (capable of 1.6's). 14# of boost, 55-56lb/m of air, 94 octane pump E10.

Injectors are limiting me from going further, and my intercooler is not the best and I show 100-120 degree intercooler outlet temps. Should do a soild low 120 trap on race gas, and a solid high 10 second quarter on the bottle. My 3.8L pushrod motor is completely stock.

Turbo: BRAND NEW Holset HX40 12blade turbine/6blade comp. w/ BEP .55 A/R bolt-on housing

Boost: 29psi

Fuel/Engine Mang.: E85, FIC BM 1650s, ECMlink V3, GM Maf w/ ECMtuning cable

AFR: ~11.5:1

Timing: 17*

Compression: 7.8:1

Engine: Stock fresh 6-bolt, BC 272s, Magnus Street IM, Stock coppersprayed headgasket, ARPs

Misc: FP Race manifold
3" Ebay v-band 02 Housing w/ 38mm Tial MS-V
Turbo X ceramic coated hot parts
4" cold-air-intake in fenderwell

Results: 446 awhp/354tq on Dyno Dynamics AWD dyno @ DB Performance (Fuel Pump Maxed Out!!!)
521 awhp/415tq Dynojet Corrected.
Also made 459awhp at 30.5psi, but I'm a nancy and turned it down.

11.47 at 127mph 1.8 60ft (Only when I was making 402awhp DD with a big boost leak!!)

Comments:
I had previously dynoed with a big boost leak (made 402awhp on a DD), I put on a Magnus and fixed the leak I didn't know about. Spool on the dyno was now 500rpm faster.

Attachments

• kdsm3.jpg
    kdsm3.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 4,202
  • kdsm2.jpg
    kdsm2.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 4,236
  • kdsm1.jpg
    kdsm1.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 4,166
Well I finally had a chance to get to the track with this turbo so I guess I'll post my results. For the record dumbass me went with the internal wg :ohdamn: so that was a major limiting factor. I also was late so I just left the 150lbs of tools in the hatch...

Turbo: 7 blade hx35 in the bolt on .55ar housing w/internal wg
Engine: stock 6bolt bs eliminated arp's and old comp 100 cams
Fuel: 1050cc inj. 255lph aero afpr 50/50 mix 93oct/110oct
Tuning: Jackal free speed density conversion software
Drivetrain: TRE stage 2 trans fidanza lw fw and act 2600
Suspension: Eibach pro kit and kyb gr-2's
Boost: 25-30 depending on rpm's in gear with this pos internal

First run 12.07@115 1.7x 60ft
YouTube - My Holset HX35 talon at the track for the first time since the new turbo

Second run 12.43@114 1.9x 60ft bogged the launch
YouTube - My Holset HX35 talon at the track for the first time since the new turbo

Third run 12.06@115 1.7x 60ft worst vid best run

Last run 13.12@107 1.7 60ft missed second then kinda gave up at the end

My setup has changed a bit since my last post with the dyno #'s

Wiseco HD 8.5 comp pistons
HKS 272's
JMF Drag SMIM
Holset HX-40 pro (6 blade)
30-31 psi
pump gas w/ meth inj.
AWD

1/4 mile @ 11.6 @ 126 mph w/ 1.99 60 ft

New dyno numbers soon

Well Here are my Results For the 7blade HX35 on a Mustang Dyno

494hp
466 ft lbs

91 AWD talon
Wiseco 9.0/1's
Eagle Rods
Stock 1G Head Ports w/ crower valve springs
FP2's
Stock intake manny
Twin Walbro 255's on E85
PTE 1200's
Keydiver chip
ACT 2600 w/ Street Disk
Gen 2 MAFT with LS1 Maf

Boost was set to 35psi but fell to 31 due to some boost leaks Im sure. Peak timing is 22 degrees. We only did one run cause the street disk started slipping at 5800rpm with the power still on the rise. There was a vid of the run, Im waiting for it to be posted on our local boards and I'll copy the link over. Overall it feels really solid, Im loving the Holset. 500hp on the Mustang should be in reach after a clutch swap.

http://

http://

Last edited:

499 video
515 video
535 video

This was on the small .55 a/r BEP bolt on housing @ 34-35psi on pump gas and meth injection. Im going back with the T3 housing and shooting for 600's
Thanks to Chip (talontsi97) for the videos!

Turbo- Hx-35 7 blade in bep .55 bolt on housing
boost- 27psi
Fuel- 93 pump, 1650cc, 225hp, -6 line from tank to aem fuel rail.
Engine- 2.3 with 8.8-1 compression, hks 272 cams.
Intake- JMF race smim, sbr front mount, 3" gm
Exhaust- DNP mani, 40mm wastegate off the o2, 3" tbe.
Tunning- Ecmlink v3. timming at 20 degrees
Trans- Shep stg 4, act 2600 w/6puck.

Time- 11.93 @ 119.5 with a 1.81 60'.

I was spinning in first every time and I hit the rev limmiter by accident. I think it would have been around 11.7 or so. Also got a little to agresive with timming.

Attachments

• track5,11.9.elg
    33.1 KB · Views: 255
I picked up the BEP open t3 housing and a JMF t3 exhaust manifold and had some pretty good results! I went to the dyno @ 35 psi, pretty rich up top (10.5 afr) timing maxed at 19*. She still has a bit more in her at the same boost level.

603/510 off the street

Dyno pull from front angle

Dyno TV screen view

To clear up any confusion....
This is on 93 pump gas and meth injection @ 35 psi. The AFR reading on the dyno sheet is not accurate, the dyno wideband wasnt working at the time of dyno.

Current and most up to date setup list is:
Holset HX-40 pro (6blade) with .70 a/r BEP open t3 exhaust housing
JMFabrications Intake and exhaust manifolds
Crower rods
Wesico HD 1400 pistons
HKS 272's
walbro single 255hp intank fuel pump
rc 1000cc inj
cooling mist meth injection w/ 100% vp m1 methanol

Last edited:
Hey guys. I got out to the track today to make a few runs and figured I'd post up the results of the best run.

BFGoodrich g-force sport street radial 225-50-16, 19psi front- 17psi rear, stock chrome wheels, full weight + awd conversion with 93octane pump and meth injection. 35 psi

I was either spinning my way into a 2.5 60ft or getting locked out of 2nd with the ACT. This run, I slipped the clutch alot and shifted super early into 2nd to avoid another lockout.

60'....................2.046
1/8....................7.6
MPH...................100.2
1/4 mile............11.4
MPH..................131

11.4@131

This is Audi 2.2L result, but I think this is still applicable because displacement and weight is similar... HX52-powered AWD Audi traps 152mph, makes about 760hp @ 2 bar

Well this isn't much considering it's an 16 cm Holset HX52. Got a lot of work to do since the head is lifting at 28 psi or more and spraying coolant all over the dyno and need to come up with a better PVC and breather system because oil cap is spewing oil everywhere.

And... someone who's very good at tuning with DSMLink v2 accommodating the turbo's high flow and GM MAF readings because AMS, Strictly Modified and Boomba Racing are all unwilling to do it and simply prefers tuning on an EMS.

Although I don't know how much one thermal cycle re-torquing, new high pressure coolant cap and possibility going to ARP L19 head studs will do because I don't have o-rings in the block nor the head but I'll see.

Major MOD:
2.0L Stage IV block - Eagle H-beam/Wiseco 9:1/etc...
Stage IV head - Kelford 280 cams/Ferrera 1mm over valves/Ferrera dual-valve springs/etc...
Turbo - 16 cm Holset HX52 with twin-scroll setup and 2 Tial 38mm wastegates
Fuel - Buschur dual pumper/-6AN tank to rail/stock return line/Magnus fuel rail/1600cc injectors

This was on e85. Pretty good! Only boosting 27 psi and I'm already at 600 whp! I'd imagine this is up to par or better than the gt42r.

Took my car to the dyno today....I cant turn the boost up cause there is no boost controller on the car. I have the big and little blue springs in my wastegate...Should be 23 psi but it holds 27 psi. I think it cause I only run a downpipe and no catback...

So 27 psi on an hx-40 t3 .70 ar housing .... The car made 570 whp and 425 ft/lbs

This is on E-85 and 21* degrees timing...12.2 - 12.5 afrs....on ONE NON REWIRED walboro 255 fuel pump...

This is still on a stock 6 bolt shortblock with 113K miles on it....Most other mods are in my profile but some may not be....So if you have any questions please ask.

-Kevin-

First i must inform all that my car is currently on a original bottom end and has very low compression of 100-110 psi across the board with lots of blow by!

ENGINE: The complete engine is stock other than balance shaft elimination. Cause of this, i have only turned it up to 26psi (which is probably more like 20 after the compression loss) and just to be safe i was using 112 race gas. I am trying to have some safe fun with my stock engine while i save up for an overhaul.

TRANS: The trans is also stock and i'm running a ACT 2600 PP with a street disc.

FUEL: Walbro 255HP and FIC 850s

TUNING: DSMLINK V2 and AEM WB gauge

TURBO: Holset HX35w 7 blade rebuilt by jusmx141 :thumb:

INTAKE: FP 4" intake, large K&N, Punishment FMIC, Modded 1g BOV, 3"GM maf with translator, stock 1g IM

EXHAUST: Ported 2g exhaust manifold, Bullseye Performance dsm .55 a/r turbine hosuing, Punishment o2 housing, Tial 44mm wastegate with dump tube, 3" turbo back

SUSPENSION: intrax springs, ingalls fr/rr cameber kit, rear AGXs on 8, FD wheels with BFG KDWs 225s

I'm still learning the PC side of dsmlink, so i'll post a log in the future, but here are my track results.

Out of five runs my best pass was
E/T: 12.27
MPH: 117
60': 1.88

I was lifting the throttle for each shift, not shifting too fast as i missed a gear 3/5 times, and was coming out of the hole pretty easy. I'm working on launching the car harder w/o spinning. I'm dealing with a new clutch set up and a new turbo set up so maybe next time out i'll work on the 60' better. The tune was fairly conservative as well and i'll be working on that some more this week. This was in temps that night between 80-90*f around sea level. This mph was enough for 11's as is on the weak engine with only 26psi. I plan to get back to the track before i rebuild the engine and if the trans will cooperate, with a little better launch and hitting the gears faster and maybe trying NLTS, it will grab a high 11 no doubt. Not to mention a little cooler air would help. It was HOT

Attachments

• HX35 on car 3.jpg
    HX35 on car 3.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 8,728
  • laser 0000.jpg
    laser 0000.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 8,781
  • FP close up.jpg
    FP close up.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 8,764
  • laser under hood FP.jpg
    laser under hood FP.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 8,698
  • HX35 on car 5.jpg
    HX35 on car 5.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 8,528
  • HX35 on car.jpg
    HX35 on car.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 8,603
Went back to the track tonight. With some adjustments to the fuel and timing while i was at the track logging, and some better driving, I got a new best

60': 1.70
E/T: 11.754
MPH: 120

60' 1.82
330 5.159
1/8 7.807 @ 95.03
1000 10.088
1/4 [email protected]

No launch control or NLTS.

Bolton big H1C (@ 28-29psi falling to 25-26), ebay o2 housing & external gate, EvoIII style (RVR) IM, stock ported exhaust manifold, k272 cams (I don't like them as they killed my launch vs my old BC272's), worn out engine with very low compression. Everything else should be up to date in my profile

First time ever on the 1/4 mile; busy track so I only got in 6 passes. Although I was very happen when I broke into the 11's, I was a bit disappointed. I did improve my time on every run. I bogged on the start every time, except the last where my car basically died when I went to second gear (would've definitely been the best pass).

I didn't get a chance to do a few practice launches or logs right before hand, as I changed the head gasket, water pump, and intake manifold that day before setting out on the 2 hour trip to the track.

Last edited:
No track times, only dyno numbers.

Built 6 bolt
Cyclone intake manifold(psi activated)
HKS 272 cams
93 octane with Snow meth kit (75% meth, 25% water)
56mm HX-40 with t3 .70 a/r housing
38psi, 17* timing, 11.7 AFRs

DSMlink log at the bottom. Car made 565/524 with an impressive torque curve. Sees 38psi by 4800 RPMs. The car had zero knock but I was afraid to add more boost and/or timing. Had a two hour drive home afterwords ;)

YouTube - Mindblowin03 Dyno 565 AWHP Hx-40
YouTube - Mindblowin03 565 AWHP 523 Ft/Lbs.

Attachments

• log.2010.10.02-05.elg
    20.9 KB · Views: 192
Figured I'd post up my results from my first outing with the HX35.

8 blade HX35 in the BEP bolt on housing, running E85 and tuning with Jackal speed density software.

So far I've ran a 7.4 @ 97mph in the 1/8 at about 26psi of boost.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8n05zQISVIw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8n05zQISVIw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ran a best of 11.61 @ 127mph in the 1/4 mile at around 32 psi of boost.

12.48 @ 112

HX40pro in bolt-on Mitsu .55 housing
Stock shortblock w/ 155k+ miles
25psi of boost
50/50 mix of e85/91 octane
FPCam2x cams
Stock head & intake manifold
Almost no tuning
My clutch slipped for just a moment in 2nd, but held strong after

YouTube - 1g DSM Talon goes 12.4X @ 112 mph.. 25psi

Hit the track tonight with my 8 blade HX35.
Turbo: 8 blade hx35 with the stock t3 divided backhousing.
Engine: Eagle/weisco 9:1 comp 6 bolt. Stock 2g head/intake manifold with BC272s and dual valve springs
Fuel: 1600's with one rewired pump. e85
Tuning: speed density with DSMlink.
Drivetrain: stock FWD 220k mile tranny with an ACT 2600
Suspension: tein S-tech springs with 26x9x16 QTPs
Boost: 34 spike settling to 30.

Went 11.4@125 short shifting the 1-2 shift. The car is FWD. Drove it 80 miles to the track and 80 miles home:)

i dont have 1/4 mile times because this darn HX35 has broke 2 trannys in the past month, but i have a never before seen (atleast that i know of) 8 blade HX35 mated to a T3 .48 A/R Garrett 4 bolt non WG hotside

i see 30+ psi by 4k rpm on E85

mods are:
6 Bolt wiesco/Eagle, Web 546/547 Cams, 1mm oversized valves, unported 1g head, Dark Performance Manifold and Tial 38mm WG with 24psi spring pressure.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back