The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Holset HX35. 8 blade vs. 7 blade?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8s_are_slow

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2002
Panama City, Florida
So this happened to me this past Sunday with my 8 blade HX35 on the way to the track.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Was debating on either repairing this turbo or getting a new one. Wondering if the cost of repairing it would be worth it compared to either getting a 7 blade turbo or just a bigger turbo all together. I already have a T3 BEP turbine housing that's brand new so getting a 7 blade would be easy enough to just swap out. Just not sure if I'd feel any difference. Opinions?

Horsepower-wise, both turbos have made airflow in the low 500's and run in the 10's. I don't believe you're going to see enough of a difference going between the two at this stage in the game. If you were doing the initial buy, I'd recommend the 7-blade because it's proven to generate more airflow....but you already have a fine 8-blade there. Replace the wheel and boost on.

^ We're not sure that the OP's turbo is a 54mm or 56mm 8-blade....neither of which are interchangeable with a 7-blade. Just making sure you're not attempting to link to parts that cannot be used.

Also, the older HX35's with the 6-point hex on the compressor nut are assembly-balanced, so the turbo will need rebalanced if the compressor wheel is replaced.

K thanks for the info. JusMX141 already told me the 7 blade wouldn't fit in place of my 8 blade. Dang it. Thanks for the links though. And yeah, wasn't aware there was a 54 and 56mm blade.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back