The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

High oil and fuel pressure after start up

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Gina2G

10+ Year Contributor
May 6, 2011
Beaufort, South_Carolina
Hey everyone, This is a 6 bolt block with a 2G head. Upon first start up, trying to break then engine in by reving it high up around 3k on the tachometer. But I shut off imediatley after I noticed that my oil pressure was around 60PSI and fuel pressure at a whopping 80psi :O

For the oil pressure, I guess it's because of my balance shaft delete? I never ported the oil filter housing as I didn't want to mess up, or incase my oil pressure was already low. Should doing this common fix lower the pressure where I need it? I just don't feel like it should be 60psi without the oil even really getting warm.

For the fuel pressure, well alot of work's been done with the fuel but really not so much different from factory. I'm not %110 sure that I have the factory pump, but it's been replaced and is a walboro, didn't see any numbers. The fuel pump has been rewired / fused with 10 guage wire. Entire new -6an lines from the pump, to fuel lab filter, to stock 2G fuel rail. The fuel rail has a relatively new stock fuel pressure regulator, and for the fuel leak test, it seemed like you could hear the fuel make it to the rail and go around.
Stock fuel injectors also. Haven't done any tuning really.

I've always read that the stock pressure regulator shouldn't get overrun until you upgrade your pump? Even with the rewire since it's a fix not an upgrade. But I guess I have no choice right? I should really get a good AFPR?

Alright so first I checked if any gas was coming out of the vaccum line on the stock regulator, nothing was wet there so I assumed that part was okay.

I removed the old return line and temporarily hoseclamped a -6an hose to the stock regulator, other end ran into a gas can. Fuel is deffinatley making it through the regulator with no leaks but adding the large hose only made the fuel pressure drop around 65psi or so.

I still didn't let the engine get fully warm mostly because of the really high fuel pressure. But this time I was suprised to have the oil pressure guage fully maxed out WTF

I did 2 small start ups, the first one the oil pressure was at 100psi, maxed out, and the fuel pressure was just below 70psi, roughly 67. Which was about 10psi or so lower than with the other return line.

the second time the fuel pressure was closer to 64 65 psi but with the oil pressure in the high 80s again.

I know the oils supposed to be high pressure on a cold start but should it ever be around 100? I'm sure it'd go under 80 once warmed up but still...and I guess since a -6an line is overkill for a return line, that I deffinatley must have the walboro 255? I wish I took pictures of the pump. Too much hastle with the fuel hanger to open it up just for that though, but it looks like I really need to get an adjustable regulator right?

If it matters, my wideband is saying the air fuel ratios in 14's area, seems ideal.

I figured out the problem, the electric gauge went bad. After reading alot it doesn't seem like an uncommon problem at all, you just always want to belive somethings %100 because it's brand new..but you never know.. :(

It was reading around 15-25 psi with an empty fuel rail LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back