The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

No oil pressure and funky idle on start up

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2GEcpliseluvr

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 18, 2006
Grover Beach, California
Okay so both of these problems occurred within a 15 minute window.

First I start my car, it revs up to 2k and holds for about 5 seconds, be for dropping to 1.5k, then proceeds to rev and fall between 1.5k and 2k for 10-15 seconds. Then idle returns to normal, accept it's at about 900, instead of 800.

Then secondly, after driving a few blocks I notice my oil pressure gauge on the dash is low, very low. I have a cheap-o after market one that came with the car that was reading around 8psi, but I don't trust it.

Any thoughts?

Also, just a bit of info. Did a oil change about a week ago. Switched from 5w-30 to 10w-30. I checked for leaks at the oil pan and filter. Both seemed fine.

The funky idle could be due to thick oil taking a bit to get through the motor, but it could also be related to an IAC (Idle Air Control) Valve. How old is your oil pressure switch on the oil filter housing. When i got my car and drove it home i would come to stoplights and my oil pressure would bottom out and the dummy light would come on come to find out the sensor was bad AND there was a small crack in the filter housing from when someone overtightened the sending unit. I would say check your oil sending unit and as for the idle its kinda hard to say just start switching stuff maybe someone else has ideas in that... mine WAS the IAC

How do I go about checking the IAC? That could be the issue. Alot of the Honda guys around here have been led to believe they gain 5hp by switching the vacuum lines on it. :confused: the way my car does it, sounds similar to theirs. But at the same time, my cars idle returns to relative normal after about a minute.

I'll check the housing for cracks tomorrow seeing as it's locked in the body shops parking lot because I didn't want to risk doing further damage by driving it on low pressure. How do I go about checking the sensor? Just use a volt meter?

Check for vacuum leaks first for the idle problem. If you dont find any take a look at this site.

Terry's Talon Troubleshooting Tips #3 - Fast Idle (aka. Idle Surge)

This site here has helped me a lot with the "Idle surge" My car does it bad on start up till it starts to warm up. I would deffinatly take a look at you IAC if you dont find any vacuum leaks.

Oil pressure problem is a little easier. I wouldnt trust the gauge either, but it wouldnt hurt to check. Get a mechanical gauge and check it at the block. Especialy with oil pressure better safe than sorry.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back