The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

high oil pressure and BS ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bd91talontsi

Probationary Member
Jun 20, 2007
Blacksburg, Virginia
ok so I'm fairly new to the dsm world and have a question
I was having trouble with high oil pressure and couldn't find the problem it had me perplexed then I went outside the other day and saw a belt hanging down outta the car!!! upon closer examination it turns out the balance shaft belt had broke, from the research I have done I think that is the cause of my high oil pressure, and I have no clue how long I have been driving around with the belt broken!!

ust want to know if driving with a broken BS belt could have caused any engine damage? or if I can chill and not worry about possible damage being caused to my engine!!!

from what I could find here about it It seems it wouldn't cause any damage just make the engine run a little roughly but still want to be 100% sure, any feedback will be greatly appreciated

thanks

Just an elimination kit won't necessarily help though. If you do the elim, you will also need to "port" the oil filter housing relief valve area. Mine is still a bit high but not anywhere near I've read some people get after a BS elim.

Good luck!

PS, I have prothane motor mounts all around and no BS's and my car isn't that bad at all. My friends 327 makes A LOT more vibration and he's on stock mounts. It's also a DD and even my female friends don't mind it!

To me 50-60 is low at WOT. I see 90-100 on cold start and WOT. People say that high pressure can damage the motor, I dont see it. It can be hard on turbo seals yes, but I want as much oil pressure as the motor will take. fully built drag motors sometimes run 100-150 psi. The more pressure that you are putting on the rods(aka making more power) the harder it is on the bearings with the pressure too low you can actually squeeze the oil out and make contact with the bearing and spin it. What is your pressure at idle? And what is it cruising?

Hey yeah it sucks this is happening but be thankful that your balance shaft belt didnt take out the timing belt. Things would have been a lot worse if that had happened.

To me 50-60 is low at WOT. I see 90-100 on cold start and WOT. People say that high pressure can damage the motor, I dont see it. It can be hard on turbo seals yes, but I want as much oil pressure as the motor will take. fully built drag motors sometimes run 100-150 psi. The more pressure that you are putting on the rods(aka making more power) the harder it is on the bearings with the pressure too low you can actually squeeze the oil out and make contact with the bearing and spin it. What is your pressure at idle? And what is it cruising?

I agree :thumb: I see 80 - 90 on a cold start and same at WOT. Operating temp at idle it sits at 25.

I agree with you %100 on this issue.

I actually just got the car a week ago, I haven;t driven it every day just most days, but the problem with the oil pressure has just been the last 2 times I was out in it. my oil pressure is between 80-100psi at wot and I know that 2 high of oil pressure isn't a good thing and am planning to probably just buy a new BS belt so I can ride the car till I pull the motor this winter for a mild build. and at that time I plan on doing the BSE

I was more worried about the one balance shaft rotating and the other not and if that would cause any internal damage,

I also know I am very lucky it didn't take the timing belt with it!

thanks for the help and I'm glad it isn't catastrophic and no real damage should have taken place, its just gonna take a little time this weekend to fix the problem

one other note sorry that I made it sound like I had been driving around for who knows how long with high oil pressure, I'm just really particular with my cars and 2 days to me is way longer than I want , I like to fix problems as soon as they occur just couldn't pinpoint the problem to fix it.

Oil pressure shouldn't be much more than 10 psi per 1000 rpm's. Too much oil pressure can be a bad thing.

explain to me why too much pressure is a bad thing. Besides the turbo seals it is a good thing. The more oil pressure you have the more of a load the rod/main bearings can handle. How can that be a bad thing?

Blowing seals, not just in the turbo. Thats cause enough. Too much pressure i imagine could also increase friction. Most racers i know don't care much for pressure, just volume.

And honestly, it's just an industry standard, 10psi per 1k rpm.

Do some searching seriously, theres info on high pressure all over this site. Oldman has the skinny on it too.

Blowing seals, not just in the turbo. Thats cause enough. Too much pressure i imagine could also increase friction. Most racers i know don't care much for pressure, just volume.

And honestly, it's just an industry standard, 10psi per 1k rpm.

Do some searching seriously, theres info on high pressure all over this site. Oldman has the skinny on it too.

Im not trying to start a argument or anything but 10psi for n/a motors/ turbo motors/ high comp./low comp or just any old motor? I am curious as to how too much pressure increases friction, I can see it taking more power to turn the oil pump. But to me the added safety of more pressure between the crank and bearings. A high volume oil pump creates more pressure. You pump more volume into the same space and you have more pressure. I would just like to know a real answer to this question. I think that 10psi/1000 is an accepted standard but not a industry standard.

It's industry. I learned it in my first few days of engines class at school.

And it's for all motors, old and new, but more specifically todays newer engines (post carb).

And i said i imagine it'd cause more friction. Trying to squeeze so much pressure through such small spaces creates backpressure which causes heat, ect. I'm talking about REALLY high pressure though 100+psi.

And by more volume, i meant by adding a big pan, or oil coolers. Increasing the overall oil capacity of the system. Not a high volume pump.

Excessive oil pressure washes out the bearings by means of fluid dynamic friction. I don't know how to explain it simply but it is a bad thing.

High oil volume good thing, volume insures that oil is getting everywhere, but work is needed via point detailing and such to use this.
High oil pressure bad thing, forces oil out of weak points like head gaskets, turbo seals, and can cause bearing failure.

Excessive oil pressure washes out the bearings by means of fluid dynamic friction. I don't know how to explain it simply but it is a bad thing.

High oil volume good thing, volume insures that oil is getting everywhere, but work is needed via point detailing and such to use this.
High oil pressure bad thing, forces oil out of weak points like head gaskets, turbo seals, and can cause bearing failure.

Thank you, thats the friction i was talking about. And i would like to add too high a pressure can grenade oil filters, and blow main oil seals all over the motor.

When considering what is "too high" of oil pressure, you also need to look at bearing clearances. If you're building a race motor with large clearances, then some extra pressure won't hurt. If you're building a stock rebuild motor and things are to the tight end of spec, then high pressure, or even just running too thick of an oil can easily destroy your motor.

I won't pretend to know the science behind it but it's something I learned from veteran circle track racers. Basically there's a crescent shaped "wedge" of oil between the crankshaft journal and the bearing surface. If oil pressure gets too high, the wedge is compromised and metal to metal contact can occur.

We were going through main bearings every weekend until one of the more experienced guys, told us to take out the high volume oil pump we were using and install a stocker, problem solved.

I used to have a Galant VR-4 and the balance shafts were out of time, and the high oil pressure actually spun my oil filter off! Luckily, I caught it before I cooked the motor. So, yea, I would ditch the balance shafts. :talon:

i kinda have the same sort of issue. My balance shafts are removed. My old setup had the oil pressure pickup on the head, but when i got a 1g head to put on it it didn't have the port, so i t'd where the factory one was. Now i get a "high" oil pressure reading from the guage, but my stocker still reads about normal. I don't know which one to trust, the autpmeter one reads high (80-90 cold start and WOT), but then stocker looks loike it always did. Should i not worry about it?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back