The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Hey new guy here, with a couple of questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milby43

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 6, 2008
Laurel Springs, New_Jersey
Hey, I always been interested in DSMs since my brother got one awhile back. Im currently on the prowl looking for a good deal. Mainly for a 1g B, but a 1g A will work too.

So I just had a couple questions, on common subjects. I will say I did search alot of these questions, but i just want a good final thought.

1. Crankwalk through different DSMs. Is crankwalk really that big of an issue. From what I heard, its not. Most people miss diagnos it. I also heard the 1g 7 bolts dont walk as much as the 2g's did.

2. How do the suspension and such hold up on these cars. If i get one with say 120k miles or so, should i worry about the suspension pieces failing?

3. 1gb front end with lights on a 1ga. It seems hard because of the flip up lights. But, how difficult is it exactly? What parts would you need to do it? just the bumper, lights, and hood? Is it just bolt up?

4. Tell me something about you. Your DSM. Its specs. Your favorite years dsm. etc etc.

Thanks everyone, I cant wait to get into DSMs more. Its been a dream since i was little, and saw my brother laser.\

Andrew.

Hey there 1gs have 6 bolt engine not 7 bolt and from my reading crankwalk is an issue with 2gs and that's why some just drop a 6 bolt in their 2g.
1gb lights and bumpers are not just bolt on for a 1ga and usally with rust its a challenging project, get ready to use a lot of wd40.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Crankwalk is not as big as a problem as it was made out to be. Yes, it did happen to some; but it can happen to ANY engine, this is not specific to a 7 bolt 4g63. The newer 2.4L PT crusiers were having this issues, and there was a generation of Chevy 350 engines that did as well. What happened is people began to use it as an excuse for absolutly anything that went wrong or if they screwed up thier car by not maintinaing it or running more boost wihtout the supporting fuel. The early 7-bolts found in the 92.5 to 94 1gs were different blocks than the 95-96. 97-99 got a different main thrust bearing. The early ones (92.5-94)were not known for "crankwalking."

At 120k miles I'd suspect you'll at least need new struts; possibly balljoints. Shocks/struts generally have a 50,000 mile lifespan accoring to Tenneco who makes the Monore line of shocks/struts.

I have had 4 dsm's since 2007. Three have been 1995 Talons AWD. One was an automatic. I've recently retired the white one in my avatar due to rust. I'm currently rebuilding a blue '95. Car will virtually be a ground-up rebuild. All new suspension bushings, struts, springs, tie rods, balljoints, recently rebuilt trans, clutch, engine rebuild, and who knows what else. I know extremepsi has made a killing off of me. LOL Modifications include: DSMLink v3, Exedy 6-puck clutch and ACT streetlite flywheel, EVO3 16g and EVO3 manifold, 3" cat-back, 272/272 FP cams, CAI, ETS FMIC, ect.

Hey, I always been interested in DSMs since my brother got one awhile back. Im currently on the prowl looking for a good deal. Mainly for a 1g B, but a 1g A will work too.

So I just had a couple questions, on common subjects. I will say I did search alot of these questions, but i just want a good final thought.

1. Crankwalk through different DSMs. Is crankwalk really that big of an issue. From what I heard, its not. Most people miss diagnos it. I also heard the 1g 7 bolts dont walk as much as the 2g's did.

No, it ain't that big of an issue, very over rated. The 1g 7bolts and the 1999 version are also less at risk thant 95-98's.

2. How do the suspension and such hold up on these cars. If i get one with say 120k miles or so, should i worry about the suspension pieces failing?

Suspension is fine, but the 2g's suspension are better as they're dual wish bone suspension as opposed to MacPherson setups. This link may also be of some help for future reference.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/sub.php?page=1gsuspension

3. 1gb front end with lights on a 1ga. It seems hard because of the flip up lights. But, how difficult is it exactly? What parts would you need to do it? just the bumper, lights, and hood? Is it just bolt up?

What you'll need is 1gb headlights, Hood, Bumper, fenders and front support for mounting of the headlights, which is spot welded so you'll need the entire radiator support. (Don't quote me 100% on that though)

4. Tell me something about you. Your DSM. Its specs. Your favorite years dsm. etc etc.

My dsm is like stated in my signature, and is also my personal favorite, an early 1992 Auto TSI AWD, the 6/4 combo is "bullet proof" and the auto trans. is also quite solid and cheap to mod. for performance.

Thanks everyone, I cant wait to get into DSMs more. Its been a dream since i was little, and saw my brother laser.\

Andrew.

And welcome to Tuners!

Hey there 1gs have 6 bolt engine not 7 bolt and from my reading crankwalk is an issue with 2gs and that's why some just drop a 6 bolt in their 2g.
1gb lights and bumpers are not just bolt on for a 1ga and usally with rust its a challenging project, get ready to use a lot of wd40.

Way to miss-inform a new member. Late 1992 versions and up had 7bolts, only early 1992 and earlier had 6-bolts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excuse me dood apologies to OP... technically its a 7 bolt but not the one that he's referring to. Pretty easy to provide the same information from the post above you.

Excuse me dood apologies to OP... technically its a 7 bolt but not the one that he's referring to. Pretty easy to provide the same information from the post above you.

Haven't read the post above me as I was writting mine before she had posted hers; don't make this into a pissing contest when not needed, I was just making a valid correction.

Yea he didnt throw me off, I know the 1gs built after April 92 had 7 bolts. I found this 93 in delaware.

93 Eagle Talon tsi AWD turbo

I feel alot better after all this guys. I was a little skeptical at first. This one has alot of new oem parts on it, or at least replaced parts. Which scares me, maybe the engine blew and he just fixed a couple parts. I heard when an engine or something can go, it can send a shock to other components and such.

Now, I wont be launching the piss out of my car from 6k RPM, but should the clutch in that be fine you think? 130k on stock clutch, isnt toooo bad. But idk how durable stock DSM clutches.

Im about to go today after school to take a look at it.

If anyone lives in Jersey, Philly, tri state area, Im looking for a 1g-b. AWD.

Again thanks alot guys. Im looking to get comfortable in these forums.

Clutch wear is all feel...hard to tell from a forum ;) Previous owner could've raped it who knows, watch your rpms for slippage.

Yea, Ill defiantly see if slips. I g2g go to my next class.

Ill talk to yous later.

Going to see that 93 talon. Is there anything i should check for specifically. Anyway to check if there is crankwalk?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back