The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Help! What's wrong with my car?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nighthawk355x

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 27, 2005
Edison, New_Jersey
I made the mistake of beating my car today and as always...PROBLEMS! Everything was great, boosting fine, then, all of a sudden, the car started lagging like hell. It basically wouldn't rev past 2000 rpm in any gear without stuttering like it was going to backfire. The car wasn't smoking at all, and when the engine's running it sounds fairly normal, no knocks, ticks, anything, but the rpms are jumpy.

The few things I did notice...
-when I opened the hood the manifold was GLOWING it was so hot
-don't hear the turbo at all anymore(i can usaually hear something faint at least, even at 2k)
-when you let off the rpm's drop to around 500 and bounce back and forth a bit(when it was hot)
-after it cooled and I started it the motor kicked over fine and again sounded fairly normal but then shut off almost immediately(it starts, hits idle and then drops off and stalls)

Car has an evo 16g, ported manifold, stock downpipe, aftermarket rear 1/3 exhaust, fmic, and nothing else(if it helps)

sounds like you blew a coupler off the charge piping. just my input. happened to me a couple times a few months ago. exact same symptoms.

Ya me too it sounds like the ic piping, also if you blew a spark plug wire for me it would not boost hardly at all and sometimes it would jump around and boost fine for a second.

I had a prob like this the other day, and my car wanted to backfire and it wasnt acellerating correctly- it was my msd coil pack not making the number 1 spark plug work. Just giving you another idea - You possibly have a boost leak? My buddies rx-7 was doing this as well, and he had a leak- Hope you find it!

I had a prob like this the other day, and my car wanted to backfire and it wasnt acellerating correctly- it was my msd coil pack not making the number 1 spark plug work. Just giving you another idea - You possibly have a boost leak? My buddies rx-7 was doing this as well, and he had a leak- Hope you find it!

it's a little different though with an n/t that has had a turbo added. correct me if i'm wrong, but you're still on a map sensor. the gst/gsx maf sensor is placed before the turbo. this means it's metering air that the turbo is taking in, and calibrating the fuel and timing maps for that air. then with a blown coupler, there's a huge boost leak. all the metered air just went bye bye, so suddenly there's this extra fuel and timing with no use. not good. kinda the same principle as why you install a plumb back bov on a gst/gsx, so you don't lose metered air.

Just checked my car out in the daylight and it WAS the IC piping! I didn't notice it yesterday night ### I had no flashlight and my street has no lights on it. Thanks a lot for the help everybody!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back