The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

What's wrong with my car?...anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldberg007

Probationary Member
Nov 3, 2003
Salem, --_United_States
Recently I had the PTE 50, PTE780cc inj., MAF translator,
GM 3.5" MAS, Walbro 255FP installed on my car. The "DSM"
mechanic that installed it tuned it with his logger also. But last
weekend i put 110 octane race gas in it went to the track...everything
was fine until a day or two later.

Now when its at cold idle it will only run if i am giving it gas so
it won't die, on cold drive it stumbles, hesitates and spits until
around 3500-4000rpm, then seems to be normal.

At normal oper. temp idle is fine....but it still stumbles, hesitates, and
spits under acceleration......what the hell is the deal?

I went and got OEM wires.......didn't fix it, I don't think it would
be the plugs (Denso Iridium) they have prob. 1500 miles on them.

Is it a coil pack?

have you checked all you vacum lines in the engine bay... specifically the thotle body ones? maybe one vacuum hose snap off, and it causes you bad iddle... try that... or some other hose...

you could also have cracked something on the exhaust manifold and have a leak, or maybe a UICP leak... check that...

What's your base fuel pressure look like? I'm wondering if you're running insanely rich due to not having an AFPR.

Ok..this is a little hard to explain, but here it goes. I just got my '99 Eclipse GSX like a month ago..blew the stock tranny because the previous owner beat it to shit, got a brand new one put in, and have had it in for like a week. My car has a t3/t4 upgrade, and everything engine-wise is completely upgraded as well (pistons/rods/afc/pump, etc); I'm running 310hp to the wheels. Since getting the new tranny installed, the car ran flawlessly the first few days, but now under full boost (20psi is what I run at via an Xtreme Technologies MBC), my car will be taching up and boosting perfectly, but then I'll hit a certain RPM from approx. 5k+, and the car "studders", and stops boosting altogether..its like the car is jerking rather violently. Now..I was thinking it COULD be fuel cut..but my A/F guage is showing an extremely rich reading(not that that means anything, I know)..especially under WOT, and sometimes after hitting full boost for a long stretch of road, I can even smell fuel...so using common sense I've pretty much ruled fuel cut out for now. I'm basically wondering if it had anything to do with the factory clutch that they installed(used to have the 2600 in there)..I know it (the stock one) ovbiously cant handle 310hp for an extended period of time, but I just got the damn thing put in a week ago, and I dont know too much about transmissions, but could I have possibly glazed the clutch already?? I did run the car harder than I should've the first few days, but I KNOW how to drive my car and use a manual tranny properly, and I havent had anything close to this happen since I've gotten my car. I'm totally baffled with what this could be..possibly the clutch not holding to the flywheel properly(or however that works)??.. All help is GREATLY appreciated on this one...Its pretty sad that I dropped 3 G's on the tranny and now this is happening so soon:barf:

To the guy above: Get a logger and check your injector duty cycle throughout the RPM range.

Originally posted by FutureGSXOwner
Ok..this is a little hard to explain, but here it goes. I just got my '99 Eclipse GSX like a month ago..blew the stock tranny because the previous owner beat it to shit, got a brand new one put in, and have had it in for like a week. My car has a t3/t4 upgrade, and everything engine-wise is completely upgraded as well (pistons/rods/afc/pump, etc); I'm running 310hp to the wheels. Since getting the new tranny installed, the car ran flawlessly the first few days, but now under full boost (20psi is what I run at via an Xtreme Technologies MBC), my car will be taching up and boosting perfectly, but then I'll hit a certain RPM from approx. 5k+, and the car "studders", and stops boosting altogether..its like the car is jerking rather violently. Now..I was thinking it COULD be fuel cut..but my A/F guage is showing an extremely rich reading(not that that means anything, I know)..especially under WOT, and sometimes after hitting full boost for a long stretch of road, I can even smell fuel...so using common sense I've pretty much ruled fuel cut out for now. I'm basically wondering if it had anything to do with the factory clutch that they installed(used to have the 2600 in there)..I know it (the stock one) ovbiously cant handle 310hp for an extended period of time, but I just got the damn thing put in a week ago, and I dont know too much about transmissions, but could I have possibly glazed the clutch already?? I did run the car harder than I should've the first few days, but I KNOW how to drive my car and use a manual tranny properly, and I havent had anything close to this happen since I've gotten my car. I'm totally baffled with what this could be..possibly the clutch not holding to the flywheel properly(or however that works)??.. All help is GREATLY appreciated on this one...Its pretty sad that I dropped 3 G's on the tranny and now this is happening so soon:barf:

Please don't hyjack threads with other problems...you have the exact oposite problem this guy does if i read everythign correctly.

Start a new thread and ya should be able to get some help...here are nmy first things to say.

#1 log it.
#2 you could be having timing pulled
#3 hmmm what are you doing boosting on a new STOCK clutch soo soon the break in for them is 500 miles
#4 don't use phrases like "stops boosting all together" tell us what the gauges say.
#5 did the car ever run correctly with your setup......you could be hitting fuel cut or mass overrun.

Originally posted by goldberg007
Recently I had the PTE 50, PTE780cc inj., MAF translator,
GM 3.5" MAS, Walbro 255FP installed on my car. The "DSM"
mechanic that installed it tuned it with his logger also. But last
weekend i put 110 octane race gas in it went to the track...everything
was fine until a day or two later.

Now when its at cold idle it will only run if i am giving it gas so
it won't die, on cold drive it stumbles, hesitates and spits until
around 3500-4000rpm, then seems to be normal.

At normal oper. temp idle is fine....but it still stumbles, hesitates, and
spits under acceleration......what the hell is the deal?

I went and got OEM wires.......didn't fix it, I don't think it would
be the plugs (Denso Iridium) they have prob. 1500 miles on them.

Is it a coil pack?

First off take those shatty plugs out of your car...use copper plugs in the DSM platinum and iridium plugs hold heat way too well and cause detonation/crappy running.

Check your wires....it is VERY easy to swap the #3 and #4 plug wires and the car will act like this (don't ask how i know :D)

It really sounds like you arn't firing on all cylinders. check your spark and to see if all cylinders are firing (pull the wires one at a time and replace if it bogs the same for all you are probably ok).

Thank you, Crankbender!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just purchased my first DSM a couple of weeks ago (94 Eclipse GSX 47K miles for $4,500) it ran great when I test drove it, but about two days later it started funning like shit (same as Goldberg007 described) I don't know much about cars so I thought I had been taken. I checked the plugs and wires like Crankbender suggested and sure enough the #2 was arcing through the rubber boot, I changed the plugs and wires, and she runs like a dream now. Thanks again Crankbender.

P.S. Like I said I don't know much about cars, maybe I got taken anyway. Is that a good price for the car described? Car is all original no mods. Not that it would do much good now, I've already bought the car!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back