The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

HELP! Optima Red + New Alternator = Not Charging

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greekgodchaos

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 4, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
FOUND THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM!: There are 2 small bolts that hold the 80amp Alternator Fuse, and the one closer to the firewall that keeps the wire coming off the battery had backed itself out, causing a bad connection, after tightening it down, I start the car and boom, 14.44v :D

Red Top Optima (3 weeks old at most)
3rd Remanufactured O'Reilly Auto Alternator

Yesterday I drove to Costco to gas up and after I got there and filled up, I pulled into the parking lot to calculate my MPG, well I notice that my TT volt meter is reading 12.2v-11.9v, so I start panicking and start driving home, then while I am driving I see my voltage go up to about ~13.2v but that's it. I went to O'Reillys and picked up another remanufactured alternator because by the time I got there the voltage was back down to the low 12's, high 11's. So I went home, wrapped my tubular O2 housing with exhaust wrap, put the lower OEM heat shield back on, and fabricated an aluminum heat shield for the alternator to shield it from any more exhaust heat. So I swap the alternators and now at rest (engine off) my TT is reading ~12.46v, I turn it on and it drops to ~10v when cranking, then sits at 12.2v-11.9v. So before I went to bed last night, I disconnected the battery and left it float charging 2amps, went back out this morning and the voltage is the same damn thing. Someone PLEASE help me out, this is my only car and I need it desperately to run right.

As of right now, the battery is hooked up to the charger for a Regular 10amp charge to see if I can get this thing back up to the manufacturers target voltage of 13.8v-15.0v. I will be leaving that on for another hour or two to see if that helps, because I really do not want to keep throwing money at problems if they do not get fixed for longer than a few fracking days.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back