The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Alternator not charging

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vegas Smith

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 2, 2002
Houston, Texas
Hello all, just got the car put back together with a bunch of new mods (didn't touch the electrical system). The car is running extremely poor and it appears to be caused by sub-12 voltages. Battery takes a charge and sits at 12.5-12.6 but drops to about 11.9 when the car starts. I noticed the battery light bulb was not glowing and that's part of the charging system so I replaced it with a known good bulb and this did nothing. The battery light still doesn't light up at all even with a known good bulb. All wiring to the alternator ( Saturn 200a with about 100 miles on it) is in great shape and was working perfectly prior to the car going down for a few months (putting out 14.5 v etc).

I've also replaced the 10a "gauge" fuse that's in the charging circuit. Voltage at the alternator stud is about 11.9 when car is running. Belt tension is adequate. The two alternator wires are showing oscillating voltages when car is running which leads me to believe the alt-relay is good and sensing fuse is good. Replaced alternator 80a fuse as well.

The only think I can think of is right before the car was put down for new parts, my jay racing alt-bracket broke and I had to drive home 3 miles with the alternator sitting on the subframe with the belt disconnected. I'm wondering if the alternator burnt out somehow because of this? Maybe because I left it plugged in while I drove home?

Last edited:
Did you try throwing your purse at it?

Attachments

• 32475466_593987184291607_8843432512521764864_n.jpg
    32475466_593987184291607_8843432512521764864_n.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 160
One wire Saturn alternator and done. That's what I've ran for 5 years never had an issue. Just swapped out the pulley for a smaller one because the fluiddampner is a little larger and I get a solid 14.3 with all loads on. No messing around with signal wires just works.

I tried to activate it with 12v and that didn't work, however, I'm confident I was accidentally activating the wrong terminal. I had the alternator tested and it was "good", and I've tried a new relay that made no difference. I'm actually thinking it has a bad ground (Jay racing actually recommends grinding off the black paint in some spots of the alt-bracket due to grounding issues). The only change here was the alternator bracket. I just haven't had time to work on it as my idiot coworker quit on the spot, and I've been working extra.

Last edited:
I tried to activate it with 12v and that didn't work, however, I'm confident I was accidentally activating the wrong terminal. I had the alternator tested and it was "good", and I've tried a new relay that made no difference. I'm actually thinking it has a bad ground (Jay racing actually recommends grinding off the black paint in some spots of the alt-bracket due to grounding issues). The only change here was the alternator bracket. I just haven't had time to work on it as my idiot coworker quick on the spot and I've been working extra.
Whats the job and how much it pays LOL. Im ready for a change.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back