The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Help! Car dont wanna make Power...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evo-Jr

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 23, 2006
brooklyn, New_York
Hey guys. After going crazy and spending so much money trying to built this new set up, now the car is not doing what it suppose to do. I dont wanna lip up the car on fire :cry:

This is what i have:
2.3 Stroker, Wiseco 9:1 piston,0.20 Manley I beam,Eagle 100mm crankshaft,Kiggle main girdle,ACL bearings, Fluidampr Damper, Bshaft remove,ARP head studs,3 angle valve job,Custom sheet metal intake manifold,SI dual springs and retainers,SI nitride valves,272/264 HKS,T4 tubular manifold, Precision turbo billet wheel 6268,ACT 6 puck,ACT 2900 pressure plate,Fidanza flywheel,AEM wideband,3" downpipe,FIC bluemax 1450,Walbro pump in tank and bosh 044 inline,MAF, DSM link v3 full..

Took the car to get tuned at a shop in PA, the guys at the shop work all day trying to figured out the problem.. The car only made 433 and 343 torque.. For some reason the car wasnt making boost, only about 23psi on C16.. They though it was the wastegate or the boost controller, they swap both with parts from the shop and nothing. After swapping the parts they gaved it another try and then they said the clutch was slipping which it cant be possible because is brand new, then they said it might be the cams or that my turbo is holding back! 6262sp journal bearing T4 .68 v-band...

Really dont know what to do at this point :banghead: I dont wanna go and spend money that i dont really have on parts that i might not need.. Can someone please help out on this one, im clueless :confused:

Please guys, very confused....

Ok guys, this weekend I'm going to try all the things you guys have told me... I really wanna get to the bottom of this problem.... Really going to take a look at the spring on the wastegate and also do a compression test.. Hopefully the engine is not hurt... I remember seeing almost 30psi on the highway one day, and since it went up so high I lower the boost.. But at the dyno it didnt go over 23psi...

If your compression is that low your valves might be bent. That happened to me. They were bent just enough for it to run but not for good power.
I ran a 15.2 in the 1/4 with 14 bent valves. Anything is possible

If your compression is that low your valves might be bent. That happened to me. They were bent just enough for it to run but not for good power.
I ran a 15.2 in the 1/4 with 14 bent valves. Anything is possible

Wouldnt a leakdown test rule out bent valves?

What spring is in the wastegate? What Tial gate do you have on your car? pic's of the engine bay?

Havent have any luck with my mechanic to do a compression test :banghead: I dont have a tial wastegate, im using the old turbonetics delta gate... Dont know what spring it has because we havent opened, but like i mention before i seen over 23 psi on that wastegate so god knows whats wrong with this car :barf:

Ok guys, today we did a compression test.. Here is what we got: 4cyl- 165 3cyl- 185 2cyl- 185 and 1 cyl- 175.. I told my friend that the engine had to be warm but he said it didnt make a different.. Also looking throut the car we found one of the clamps loose that hold the intercooler pipe on the turbo, maybe that was the problem.. On monday im going to do a leak down test if is necessary..

Here are some pics of the engine

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice bro....by the way has your delta gate ever given you problems? I had a friend of mine that had headaches with his so I'm just curious.......

The compression numbers are nice or the pics? LOL Do i need a leak down test or those numbers are good? I havent had problems with the wastegate yet,and i was told that those wastegate dont really need a bigger spring.. That it could be adjusted by the screw right in the middle of it, dont know if is true :hmm:

Someone posted in my thread saying that compression should be around 178. I dunno how accurate that is but mine read 145, 145, 145, 150 which I thought looked really low but my mechanic said it was fine. This Saturday im changing out the cams (degreeing), springs and retainers. Hopfully they have a compression tester over at my friends house to test it again when we are finished. Either way ill let you know how it turned out.

The compression numbers are good. A little more variation between cylinders than normal but more than enough to make good power.

At this point don't know what else to do, really don't know what's going on with this engine... Gonna do another boost leak test and see if I have any, but really I'm out of options don't know what else to look for :confused:

Here is a list of stuff I tried...have you done all of these?

List of things that have been done and that I know about the issue: There are NO BOOST LEAKS. Compression is good @ 145, 145, 145, 150 Leak down test was good. I have taken apart the tail 44v wast gate. The valve seat was there and there was no rips in the diaphram. We installed a MBC in place of the EBC and it did nothing. We have ran WG pressure and the problem is still there. We have verified base timing numerous times and even pulled plug one to verify it with true TDC. We removed the adj cam gears and replaced them with stock gears because the marks on the adj ones were a little weird. We completely removed the exhaust and did a pull like that and it didn't help the problem. We blocked off the HKS SSBOV and it didn't fix the problem. We checked PSI from the lower intercooler pipe against PSI from the JMF SMIM and it only showed a 2 psi drop during spool up and no difference when in full boost. We plugged up the exhaust to look for pre turbo exhaust leaks but found none.

Here is a list of stuff I tried...have you done all of these?

List of things that have been done and that I know about the issue: There are NO BOOST LEAKS. Compression is good @ 145, 145, 145, 150 Leak down test was good. I have taken apart the tail 44v wast gate. The valve seat was there and there was no rips in the diaphram. We installed a MBC in place of the EBC and it did nothing. We have ran WG pressure and the problem is still there. We have verified base timing numerous times and even pulled plug one to verify it with true TDC. We removed the adj cam gears and replaced them with stock gears because the marks on the adj ones were a little weird. We completely removed the exhaust and did a pull like that and it didn't help the problem. We blocked off the HKS SSBOV and it didn't fix the problem. We checked PSI from the lower intercooler pipe against PSI from the JMF SMIM and it only showed a 2 psi drop during spool up and no difference when in full boost. We plugged up the exhaust to look for pre turbo exhaust leaks but found none.

I have done pretty much all of that, gonna do another boost leak since i founded one the clamps loose and i ahvent taking apart the wastegate or the blow off valve... Gonna try doing the rest of things on monday..

Just letting you know that the valve springs and dagreeing the cams showed improvement in spool and boost recovery, but my car still took 2.6 sec to get from 70 to 90mph so we are pulling the head. Good luck.

Just letting you know that the valve springs and dagreeing the cams showed improvement in spool and boost recovery, but my car still took 2.6 sec to get from 70 to 90mph so we are pulling the head. Good luck.

Oh ok... But was told that HKS cams dont need to be deggre, plus i dont have aftermarket cam gears... But if it might help with the problem ill get them, tomorrow going to do a leak down and another boost leak test :hellyeah: Hope evrything turn out good :pray:

Im sure your hks cams are fine man. Im getting on the dyno again soon for a couple of pulls to look at the curve because my car was falling off early. I need to see if anything changed.

Im sure your hks cams are fine man. Im getting on the dyno again soon for a couple of pulls to look at the curve because my car was falling off early. I need to see if anything changed.

Well, today had a chance to do a leak down and boost leak test.. Leak down was good but while doing the boost leak we noticed that it was leak by the MAF sensor, i opened it up and put some silicone in there.. Dont know if it would seal but i think im gonna removed the maf and go with the map sensor instead, lot of people are telling me to take out that crappy maf out of there... But the car is breaking up between 2500 and 3000 rpm, dont know why is doing that tho.. Would anybody know why this is happening?

I talked to a guy earlier today...his friend has been having an accelerating issue like mine. They have Changed the stock head to a different head Fully built 1mm oversize valves and FP4r cams He still only ran a 13.3 at 104 mph. So they decided it must be the bottom end so they removed the built bottom end and put in a new block with 2g pistons and 1g rods and he still ran a 13.3 at 104mph. After that they decided he needed a bigger more efficient intercooler so he bought a huge ETS intarcooler and ran the exact same time.

My next step was going to be completely building the head but now I'm worried. The guy is going to throw is 6262 turbo on his friends car next week and see what happens.

The compression numbers are nice or the pics? LOL Do i need a leak down test or those numbers are good? I havent had problems with the wastegate yet,and i was told that those wastegate dont really need a bigger spring.. That it could be adjusted by the screw right in the middle of it, dont know if is true :hmm:

Lol....the pics.....sorry......

Lol....the pics.....sorry......

Thanks bro... I really apreciate every one of you guys, it has been really helpfull to me... Better then ecmlink forum, they dont answer for sh$t.. Having a lil problem with the car breaking up and those guys dont help for noting, i think is time for AEM.. Tired of ecmlink, i cant even find nobody to tune here in new york :ohdamn:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back