The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Engine doesnt wanna make power.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dexta

Probationary Member
Oct 4, 2005
Levittown, Pennsylvania
Hey guys, I have a 97 Eagle Talon with a 6bolt motor swap. It has a front mount intercooler w/ a greddy type s blow off valve. I was told it has an upgraded fuel pump, I belive 255lph. I am still running stock injectors and the stock FPR. Heres my problem. When you hit 2K on the tach it starts to like sputter. I just had someone put on a new head, headgasket, new intake manifold gasket, throttle body gaskets. I belive an exhaust manifold gasket. Well he said it seems to be hitting fuel cut but I don't believe it is but I don't know much. I watched about a 1/4 tank disappear on my way to work this morning, its a 20mile drive. I went through a full tank of gas in 3 days time, 20miles back and forth for 3 days. Thats about 120 miles plus random driving so say about 140 miles. Could it be possible if the FPR is stock and the fuel pump is a 255, would it be just over working the injectors? And that would be why when I hit 2 K it just seems to kinda die like the engine is being flooded? If I barely press the throttle down a little bit I can get it to creep up a little past 2K but not much. Also the car does not wanna go above like 65mph even if I floor the gas pedal. The tach will then stay around 3K maybe a little below it but does not like it. Also my back bumper after 3 days has turned almost completely black as I noticed smoke comin out only at the high speeds. Currently I have no engine management in the car. I did have an AFC until it was stolen :notgood: so I will either be saving for DSM Link or another AFC unit. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated as I do need my car and want it to run right. I've had it a year already and still haven't gotten this thing straight LOL. Any other questions please feel free to ask. I'll be checking this thread a lot today!

I'm thinking your intake gasket is leaking.When did you have it done? Does the car run fine at idle?

Perform a boost leak test

to me it sounds like a boost leak. chek ## pipes after the mass. unmetered air is what sounds like your problem. i remember the first time this happened to me. the car ran like crap black smoke was poring out and could not get it over 2k unless babied.. :dsm:

The intake manifold gasket was just done last week. I haven't had a chance to perform a boost leak test yet but I will. when you first turn the car on it'll idle ok it'll be like 1.5K maybe a little higher sometimes. Then after driving when I slow down it'll either stall or just go up and down and almost die.

Hey guys, I have a 97 Eagle Talon with a 6bolt motor swap. It has a front mount intercooler w/ a greddy type s blow off valve. I was told it has an upgraded fuel pump, I belive 255lph. I am still running stock injectors and the stock FPR. Heres my problem. When you hit 2K on the tach it starts to like sputter. I just had someone put on a new head, headgasket, new intake manifold gasket, throttle body gaskets. I belive an exhaust manifold gasket. Well he said it seems to be hitting fuel cut but I don't believe it is but I don't know much. I watched about a 1/4 tank disappear on my way to work this morning, its a 20mile drive. I went through a full tank of gas in 3 days time, 20miles back and forth for 3 days. Thats about 120 miles plus random driving so say about 140 miles. Could it be possible if the FPR is stock and the fuel pump is a 255, would it be just over working the injectors? And that would be why when I hit 2 K it just seems to kinda die like the engine is being flooded? If I barely press the throttle down a little bit I can get it to creep up a little past 2K but not much. Also the car does not wanna go above like 65mph even if I floor the gas pedal. The tach will then stay around 3K maybe a little below it but does not like it. Also my front bumper after 3 days has turned almost completely black as I noticed smoke comin out only at the high speeds. Currently I have no engine management in the car. I did have an AFC until it was stolen :notgood: so I will either be saving for DSM Link or another AFC unit. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated as I do need my car and want it to run right. I've had it a year already and still haven't gotten this thing straight LOL. Any other questions please feel free to ask. I'll be checking this thread a lot today!

Did you reconnect the airflow signal wire after your SAFC was stolen? If I unplug my safc from the harness my car does exactly what you described.
If not search for SAFC intall instructions on here and then do the reverse process.

Yea I reconnected the wires and the guy who was working on the car had cleaned up the old installation. yes this is a red talon

Oh jesus my bad its my back bumper, damn and I tried to make sure I had it right. and search pwns me sorry I most of did something wrong

Oh jesus my bad its my back bumper, damn and I tried to make sure I had it right.

One down. ROFL
Follow oldman's suggestions, do searches, and you'll find what you need to correctly run the 255. This could solve a lot of your issues, though a boost leak test wouldn't be a bad idea like everyone else suggested.

One down. ROFL
Follow oldman's suggestions, do searches, and you'll find what you need to correctly run the 255. This could solve alot of your issues, though a boost leak test wouldn't be a bad idea like everyone else suggested.

Yea I will be doing a boost leak test for safe measures. I'm readin the thread closely now and will be doing what he suggest tomorrow and hopefully take care of the issue.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back