The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Dont Wanna Blow Motor...I Need Quick Help...Loook !!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadeTreeDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 16, 2005
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
i have a 93 turbo eclipse...all stock...but all rebuilt

and the 93's came with the "small rods" ..i didnt know at the time or i would of got the big rods..but what can i do..

anyways the rods where checked for straightness and they were also shot peened..

if i have my car tuned and its running "perfectly" how much horsepower can i put out safely ? :confused:

my goal is to get 400 + whp on the stock block...its just a daily driver :dsm:

i think you could push 400+, although it would have been alot better to go with the bigger rods, but you shouldn't have a problem, just do it right and don't go way over 400.

edit: i just noticed that you put 400 whp, not sure exactly how much that would put you at crank hp but it would definitiely be up there in the 450's i'd think. you rods should hold that, but if you ever need to re-build, definitely go with the big ones.

Hey man , yea it should hold the power if the motor was built the right way ,but don't push it anymore than that or that rod could snap, also tunning is the key to make that power last for sure , just don't push it to much, or you will be rebuilding your motor again. good luck Mike

Spyderman7 said:
When 7bolts start to make power ,the parts that break fist are the rods.It might pull 400 HP once or twice.

I second this answer, be careful!! Might be a good idea to go in and change out those rods now, before you start other mods to get to that h.p. your wanting.

There are several members living comfortably at 400+whp on stock 7 bolt motors. Don't worry about something that may not happen, it's like crankwalk, screw it until it affects you. Building a big rod motor would have required you to purchase an entire new bottom end, the so called "big" rods are from the 6 bolt motor, you have a 7 bolt.

gurmanator said:
what was done to the short block when it was rebuilt?

miked and polished crank, shot peened & resized rods and also checked for straightness, cleaned up pistons

everything on the motor is new...bearings, seals, gaskets, you name it..also i have ARP rod bolts, main bolts, & head studs.. also everything that was ARP was torqued to ARP specs... everything else was done by the MITSUBISHI HAYNES manual..

ShadeTreeDSM said:
miked and polished crank, shot peened & resized rods and also checked for straightness, cleaned up pistons

everything on the motor is new...bearings, seals, gaskets, you name it..also i have ARP rod bolts, main bolts, & head studs.. also everything that was ARP was torqued to ARP specs... everything else was done by the MITSUBISHI HAYNES manual..

your good to go then. throw all the 400hp you want at it, just not too much. :thumb:

gthompson97 said:
your good to go then. throw all the 400hp you want at it, just not too much. :thumb:

nice..thanks for your help gthompson97 .... i just wanna hit the 400 mark..nothing more ..and its not like ill be doing 400whp as a daily..when im gonna race all im gonna do is turn up the boost..and for daily street driving ill probably run like 350 hp or so :thumb: :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back