1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Heat wrap question?

Posted by Th3ory, Aug 12, 2019

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Th3ory

Th3ory Proven Member

Joined Aug 6, 2015
    Centralia, Washington
    I researched and found some dsmers have used DIE Titanium wrap on there exhaust manifolds, o2 housings and downpipes.

My question is regarding its direct heat rating, it states that the wrap can handle 1800 degrees Fahrenheit direct contact. Does the o2 housing and downpipe get hotter then that? being that its After the turbo, that should increase the temps some over the exhaust manifold side?

Anyone been running this stuff for a period of time on there o2 and pownpipe? I have full stainless steel parts so not worried about rust. Has anyone ever gone back to the older style fiberglass wrap that needs silicon sprayed, or is the newer Titanium wrap just a better product?

I have no heat shields on my o2 and downpipe and would love to use some good wrap, just concerned that those parts might get hotter then the 1800 rating.

Street Build 615  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    automatic · 2G DSM

1K  7

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    347.3 whp · 300.4 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  2. Boomdeeze

Boomdeeze Proven Member

Joined Jul 5, 2009
    Independence, Minnesota
    I wrapped my o2 and DP and feel it helped a lot with under hood temps/keeping heat away from the alt. I originally bought the cheaper stuff on Amazon but found the wrap on the o2 housing became brittle quickly and I am redoing it will some higher quality to see if it makes a difference in longevity.

Street Build 4K  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    10.793 @ 128.98 · 2G DSM
    Th3ory likes this.
  3. llxkevinxll

llxkevinxll Proven Member

Joined Jan 29, 2012
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Few things to consider.

1. I wouldn't expect the metal exhaust components to reach 1800F externally. Egts in the 1600F range are typical but that does not mean the metal itself is 1600F. This is especially true post turbine wheel. The exhaust gasses will be cooler once past the turbo anyway so the O2 housing and downpipe should be cool enough to not have to worry about getting near the 1800F limit.

2. There was just a discussion in another thread where a link was posted concerning the use of heat wraps instead of a ceramic coating. Take a read for yourself.

https://www.centuryperformance.com/exhaust-header-heat-wraps-do-not-use.html

Just a few things to think about.

Other thread

Autocross Build 2K  3

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.06 @ 105.75 · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  1

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    ThunderChild and Th3ory like this.
  4. chrysler kid

chrysler kid Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2002
    Mckinney, Texas
    Header wraps are known to collect moisture and rust underneath the wrap. Splash through a puddle, car wash, humidity etc and they sweat. The rust is known to eat through the metal

Most of the builds ive seen reccomend a high temperature rust resistant coating prior to adding any wrap.

Also to note is the quality of the part and bolts being used. I used eBay turbo bolts with a manifold heat blanket with a turbo blanket and they basically melted the cheap eBay turbo to manifold bolts. I thought they had just gotten loose, but when I removed them they actually stretched about half an inch due to the extra heat and exhaust pressure. I'm not sure how they didnt break, the threads and bolt literally melted and let the turbo droop down

2K  15

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

2K  12

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

1K  0

14.1 @ 97 · 2G DSM
  5. chrysler kid

chrysler kid Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2002
    Mckinney, Texas
    Also nascar engines are basically designed to blow up once they cross the finish line. I doubt many shops would care about a set of headers a race if it meant they won the race. So 50/50 on that nascar header story

2K  15

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

2K  12

fwd · manual · 2G DSM

1K  0

14.1 @ 97 · 2G DSM
  6. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    How long did it take for it to get brittle? And have you used the new stuff yet?

I'm asking because I used cheap Ebay wrap, hoping this won't happen.

Road Race Build 2K  25

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

348  3

2012 Murray Explorer Dune
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

263  6

2009 Troy Bilt Bronco
  7. Boomdeeze

Boomdeeze Proven Member

Joined Jul 5, 2009
    Independence, Minnesota
    It became brittle and falling apart in under 3,000 miles but can't tell you when in those 3,000 miles it happened as I did not look at it. I have the new stuff on now but have only put a couple hundred miles on. Just keep an eye on yours and try not to touch it as that is when mine fell apart.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019

Street Build 4K  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    10.793 @ 128.98 · 2G DSM
    BLACK'98DSM likes this.
  8. Steve92talon

Steve92talon Proven Member

Joined Jul 3, 2019
    Fernie, BC, Canada
    I used some cheap Ebay wrap and it got brittle after only a few hours. One good high speed run and my header snapped a tube in half and the pipes were glowing hot under the wrap.. I threw it in the garbage and put a ported cast manifold on with no wrap and under hood heat is less then the header wrapped or un wrapped. Coatings are the way to go. Wraps were obsolete once ceramic coating was invented. I'm only using wrap on my intake pipes now and just leave the cast exhaust as is. a bolt on heat shield would be all I would add.

9. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    400 miles on the Ebay stuff now. Has not yet fallen apart, in fact it seems to be doing its job really well. It does feel a little crunchy if I mess with it, but I guess the trick is to not mess with it.

Road Race Build 2K  25

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

348  3

2012 Murray Explorer Dune

263  6

2009 Troy Bilt Bronco