The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Headgasket/Timing Belt Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PFC_CiarlilloM

10+ Year Contributor
May 22, 2011
Euclid, Ohio
I know this has been beaten, and beaten time, and time again, but I just want to make sure I do everything correctly the first time when it comes to the head gasket and timing belt. I've been reading the vfaq as well as looking at both the Haynes/Chilton repair manuals and reading up on some of the previous threads. I have attached some pictures of how my car sits right now, and will give more information if needed. Basically, I would like to get some advice on how to proceed to remove the head to get to the head gasket as well as tackling the timing components. Also any mods for a stock block that would be great to do while I have anything apart would be awesome too. I was thinking now would be a good time to port the exhaust manifold, and turbo exhaust housing as well.

From what I gather, I'm at the point where I jack up the engine from the oil pan to remove the engine mount, and then remove the timing components? (The previous owner said that the engine was rebuilt 40k ago due to an accident, but had no proof so as far as I know it has 140k on it, I bought the OEM kit from extreme psi, and will take care of the timing components for piece of mind as well)

SIDE NOTE: I went with the Felpro composite gasket set (HS9627-PT3) as well as ARP headstuds.

Also any tips/advice that would make everything much smoother would be greatly appreciated because as much as I like working on it, I love driving it more LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_20120614_153545.jpg
    IMG_20120614_153545.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20120614_153554.jpg
    IMG_20120614_153554.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20120614_153600.jpg
    IMG_20120614_153600.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20120614_153617.jpg
    IMG_20120614_153617.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20120614_153625.jpg
    IMG_20120614_153625.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20120614_153633.jpg
    IMG_20120614_153633.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20120614_153404.jpg
    IMG_20120614_153404.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20120614_153529.jpg
    IMG_20120614_153529.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 50
Seems like your on the right track. Just take out the hydraulic tensioner and slip the belt off the gears then unbolt the head. I would suggest taking the head to a machine shop to have it inspected and resurfaced. Maybe even a valve job and new seals depending on what the machine shop says.

While the head is off, inspect the cylinders for anything that stands out. Deep scratches, cracks in pistons, etc. Also, now would be the time to delete the balance shafts.

My bad guys, I have been really busy the last few days. Thanks for all the advice, and the links. I will be proceeding forward tomorrow HOPEFULLY. I am keeping the balance shaft for now as it came w/ the kit, but in the future I definitely will end up going with the delete kit.

The time to do the balance shaft delete is while you have the front of the engine taken apart to do your head and timing components. Unless you like taking things apart twice? And going by your member name thats definitely not the military way (unless its cleaning)!

@KewlWinter- Money is really tight at the current moment, and most likely will be for a couple of months. Since the Timing Belt Kit already came w/ the balance shaft belt, etc, I figured I'd just use it for now. I plan on just keeping this one stock w/ bolt-ons, and build another block little by little until it's finished, and then drop it in. I'll make sure to eliminate the balance shaft on that one though.

@BogusSVO- I'm new to working on cars but I am pretty damn sure I blew my head gasket. I noticed a big oil stain under the car one day, and traced it back just under the exhaust manifold where the block meets the head <hoping that's the correct terms> roughly from cylinders 4, 3, and 2. It didn't appear to be coming from anywhere else. Also, I flushed my radiator, and my coolant still had a little bit of a milky color going on. The oil didn't appear to be runny when I drained it though.

The guy I bought it off of was selling it for his brother apparently. He said he didn't know much about it other than it was involved in an accident by the guy who had it before his brother, and that he <P.O before brother> had the engine rebuilt. He said the previous owner before his brother put 20k on the rebuild, and his brother put roughly another 20k on it. He had no proof of it though, so of course I didn't believe any of it, and assumed it had 140k on it. If it was rebuilt, it appears someone did a poor job on it just by how everything appeared when I first looked at it. Plus it didn't help that I blew my valve cover gasket on the drive back home. It definitely was neglected to say the least.

So I just started to tear down the engine to redo the head gasket <ARP headstuds w/ Felpro composite HG>, and for piece of mind, I decided to get the extremepsi OEM timing belt kit <Timing belt, Tensioner, Tensioner Pulley, Idler Pulley, Balancer Pulley, and Balance Shaft Belt> [Plus a new Gates water pump] I'm trying to do things right the first time, so I don't pick up on any bad habits early on working on cars.

There hasn't been much progress as of late though. Mostly due to funding, and the heat getting upwards of 95. I still have to get the "special" tools so to speak for the timing belt, and the accessory belts. I'm just thinking of which tools to buy, and which one's to "make" so to speak.

Sorry for the long post, but I figured the more information the better.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back