The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Headgasket help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys I just wanna give a little update I got my arp's in the mail today and headgasket from the dealership Im gonna try and get her done by this weekend! Heres some pics. Also i was totally amazed on how much crosshatch was in the cylinder walls. I think the bottem end my have been rebuilt before!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thanks i did do a compression test before i got the head redone and it wasn't to bad at all It was around 150 or 160! Hopefully theres still alot of miles left on her.

There was a thread a while back on the DSMLink forums discussing the use of copper spray on multi-layer gaskets. If I remember correctly (and I believe I do) the conclusion was that the copper inhibits the different layers from expanding at different rates, completely negating the reason for using a multi-layer gasket. I would avoid sprays when using these gaskets.

There was a thread a while back on the DSMLink forums discussing the use of copper spray on multi-layer gaskets. If I remember correctly (and I believe I do) the conclusion was that the copper inhibits the different layers from expanding at different rates, completely negating the reason for using a multi-layer gasket. I would avoid sprays when using these gaskets.

You're right, I wouldn't run an MLS all together. :cool:

I've always coppered sprayed my multi-layer hg and have never had a problem.

I've always sprayed the mitsu metal multi-layer hg and used no spray on the stock composite hg.

It's a real bi*** to remove the copper spray + stock composite material from the mating surfaces when you remove it.

ARPs torqued 100lbs + Metal mitsu multi-layer + copperspray has held 37psi & 8k rpms on an scm61 on my last talon. With head resurfaced.

So on the stock oem comp gasket i should use it and the MLS type dont use the copper spray??

goodluck.

i doubt the rebuild, mine looks the same, just good condition which is nice to know. Good choice on the ARP's, the lube is gooey! haha.

sorry to bring this up i just want to be sure. I have a fresh built block with an older built head from a previous build. I can use a stock felpro or mitsu headgasket with the stock head bolts and it will hold my 500hp goal? or do i need use arps?

You have a 1992: If you have a 7bolt, use arp headstuds and composit gasket.

If you have a 6-bolt and it is already assembled and inthe car, then push it and see. Worst case scenario is that you replace the headbolts with arp head studs after a blown head gasket. You SHOULD pull the head/headgasket if you swap in ARPs. If it's all apart now, get the ARPs.

The head was resurfaced already right? I went with an OEM because I found they hold up very well. My goals aren't 500hp, but low 11's, high 10's in the 1/4. If the block and head are resurfaced, then you might as well go with an MLS gasket, you got nothing to loose there. Don't even second guess ARP's, just get them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back