The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Head gasket selection

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aba-cadabba

Probationary Member
Mar 9, 2021
Hampden, Massachusetts
should you match the bore size to your cylinders bore size?

why are the felpro mls gasket so much more than the cometic?

should you match the bore size to your cylinders bore size?
Not super necessary to match as long as gasket bore is larger than cylinder bore. If your bore size is 85.00-85.50mm you can go with a Cometic 85.50mm, too. In that case you have a bit more material between cylinders.
FYI, OEM MLS gasket bore is 86.00mm, Felpro MLS is 87.00mm, Cometic you can choose from 85.50/86.00/87.00mm.
Please refer the link below.

why are the felpro mls gasket so much more than the cometic?
What makes you think so?

Depending on your goals you can save a ton by just running a composite gasket, if you don't plan on going north of 35 psi, the work needed to get a proper surface finish for an MLS gasket is just not worth it in my opinion. My car has made multiple 9 second passes on a $27 Felpro composite with o-rings and gone low 10's with just the gasket itself.

Not super necessary to match as long as gasket bore is larger than cylinder bore.
price is what I was referring too.

Depending on your goals you can save a ton by just running a composite gasket, if you don't plan on going north of 35 psi, the work needed to get a proper surface finish for an MLS gasket is just not worth it in my opinion. My car has made multiple 9 second passes on a $27 Felpro composite with o-rings and gone low 10's with just the gasket itself.
I contemplated that composit felpro, I ended up going with a cometic becauseI had my block decked, bored .020 over , sending a cyl head out this week also.

Last edited by a moderator:
price is what I was referring too.
Different manufacturer, different price. The Felpro MLS is kinda expensive side on price but still not the most expensive one. I think Cometic price is actually low, that's why it looks more expensive if comparing with a Cometic MLS. Also the number of layer is different.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back